Blender web plugin status

POST HERE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET THE OPEN SOURCE 3D/2D WEB PLUGIN 3DMLW TO SUPPORT BLENDER GAMES !

An online blender game engine is just what we need to let Blender games go mainstream!

Hello,
google peoples @ http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ are developing “native client” a very interesting technology (the answer to microsoft activex), i think o3d is based on this technology, and a native client python version (i guess, my source of information is simply a phrase on the web site and the result of googling around) is in development.
Native client is a true multi platform (mac osx, windows, linux) environment to run ( unchanged ) executables in a sand box embedded into the browser, although at the moment it supports the x86 architecture only, and the internet explorer integration is not complete( works on opera, chrome and firefox).
I enjoyed to play the native client version of Quake.
And talking about game engines the browser plugin of the panda3d ge is in development, and panda3d use the python language.
The future of the web is more and more crossed with 3d :smiley:
I guess this is the time to talk about the funding…
I think it’s a great opportunity for blender (and for blender users :smiley: )
My apologies for all the inaccuracies and language mistakes…:frowning:

Stuff the files into a zip file and make it downloadable then. Host the server online and away you go! I’m sure people wouldn’t mind downloading 50-100megs of files to play a game if it looks cool.

Hello,
peoples @ http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ are developing “native client” a very interesting technology (the answer to microsoft activex).
Native client is a true multi platform (mac osx, windows, linux) environment to run ( unchanged from platform to platform ) native code executables in a sand box embedded into the browser, although at the moment it supports the x86 architecture only, and the internet explorer integration is not complete(this is an excerpt from latest release notes:"
Native Client supports Firefox 3 on Linux, Windows and MacOS, and
Chrome, Safari and Opera on Windows.
Support for the following browsers is not available at this time:

• Internet Explorer
    These browsers are partially supported:
  • Camino on MacOS appears to work but has had minimal testing
  • Firefox 2 on MacOS: We STRONGLY encourage Mac users to upgrade
    their Firefox version to 3 for Native Client. On Firefox 2,
    control, command and alt keys are not enabled due to
    an eavesdropping vulnerability. Note the control key is used
    for firing weapons in Quake.
  • Safari on MacOS: However, mouse events don’t work."
    ).
    I personally enjoyed to play the native client version of Quake, and is AWESOME :D.
    I think o3d is based on this technology, and a native client python version (i guess, my source of information is simply a phrase on the web site and the result of googling around) is in development.
    And talking about game engines the browser plugin of the panda3d GE is in development, and panda3d use the python language.
    The future of the web is more and more crossed with 3d :smiley:
    I think it’s a great opportunity for blender (and for blender users )

+1 to support the development of the browser plugin!!!
peoples @ http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ are developing “native client” a very interesting technology (the answer to microsoft activex).
Native client is a true multi platform (mac osx, windows, linux) environment to run ( unchanged from platform to platform ) native code executables in a sand box embedded into the browser, although at the moment it supports the x86 architecture only, and the internet explorer integration is not complete(this is an excerpt from latest release notes:"
Native Client supports Firefox 3 on Linux, Windows and MacOS, and
Chrome, Safari and Opera on Windows.
Support for the following browsers is not available at this time:

• Internet Explorer
    These browsers are partially supported:
  • Camino on MacOS appears to work but has had minimal testing
  • Firefox 2 on MacOS: We STRONGLY encourage Mac users to upgrade
    their Firefox version to 3 for Native Client. On Firefox 2,
    control, command and alt keys are not enabled due to
    an eavesdropping vulnerability. Note the control key is used
    for firing weapons in Quake.
  • Safari on MacOS: However, mouse events don’t work."
    ).
    I personally enjoyed to play the native client version of Quake :D.
    I think o3d is based on this technology, and a native client python version (i guess, my source of information is simply a phrase on the web site and the result of googling around) is in development.
    And talking about game engines the browser plugin of the panda3d GE is in development, and panda3d use the python language.
    I think it’s a great opportunity for blender and for blender users

I was thinking about porting blenderplayer to native client:http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/, a web plugin that runs native x86 code: quake, python and irrlicht game engine have already been ported, now I am looking for some help on porting.

I really would like to get Blender Game Engine running on a browser.

What would be the best architecture? A browser plugin, or use the native client idea above?

Now, who could be a mentor for this project?

I have kind of extended some plugins to firefox and I have dived a bit into the Blender Game Engine code for a while. Who can I talk to?

Thanks a lot for the feedback,

Daniel

Can someone publicize this argument on blendernation?
I think is an error to fragment the development of the browser plugin (2 versions: windows activex and xembed for linux and macos (i guess)), native client is IMHO a more practical approach in order to mantain a single code base.

imho the future of 3d web applications is Google’s o3d. They already said they’re highly interested in having o3d as a standard for html 5 and Google’s OS. So you can safely assume that the best way to go would be porting blender to o3d.

Luckily, there is already one guy doing this. If you or anyone else is interested in porting blender to the browser then you should definetely get in contact:
http://www.nelson-games.de/bl2o3d/

That is definitely a possibility, a converter ge -> o3d, but how about python code?
maybe a wrapper that maps predefinited game engine blocks into javascript code…
coding javascript is a huge pain in the axx (sorry :D) IMO

Wow! Native Client looks very impressive… I’m definitely no expert but it might be the way to go.

another way to develop a complex 3d application for the web in python is using the panda3d game engine for the code and blender for the modeling.
a panda3d browser plugin is in progress of development.

Can blenderplayer run on native client, or does it need to be converted somehow?

@skykooler: you must port and recompile it first, http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/wiki/Porting

hey, i read that and i think it would be very useful to insert a game into a web page, but i dont know if now its possible, if someone found out how to do… maybe someone can explain me? thanks much to all :slight_smile:

hey, someone…???

if u want your game to start like those created on java platform (click the button and start to play in the web page) it is not yet possible.

as i see it it’s a mistake in the strategy of the creators of blender (it’s not an accusation, just a personal opinion).
form what I understand nobody is working on creating a web plug in, because it is very difficult to create and there are more important things to develop then the web plug in, and there is a limited number of blender developers.

their strategy is to keep improving the aplication and the game engine, to be a strong oponent to the comercial aplications: Maya, 3d studio max etc.

the reason I consider this to be a wrong strategy, is the fact that by doing so, the developers of blender aim their efforts to please the studios and the proffesionals, and only them.

they don’t take into account the big flok of followers , who are blending out of passion. Not for gains, just for the possibility of expresing in a new enviroment.

I don’t know if I’m right , but I see blender (or it’s succesor) as a large virtual enviroment on the web were u will be able to create what u create at home on your pc (or mac). The capabilities of your computer will not limit your creation anymore (number of vertices, speed of the game etc)

This web plug in is the first step toward that future.

Am I the only one that thinks that this will be the future?

i think what you said is perfectly right, cause blender is a fantastic program, cause it’s a multi tool program, and not only a engine, or a modelling program like a lot others, and it’s pretty simple to use and learn but very professional too, so i hope that this next steep, to take the blender on the web, will be as soon as possible,…

i still wait for /if someone has a solution or others info…

thanks in any way :smiley:

Just to put it out there…I WANT THE PLUGIN TOO! :smiley:

Is this different then the one used here?: http://www.blendenzo.com/battleBallsIndex.html