Blender Week Day Challenge #16 (Entries Closed)

http://www.joshuascotton.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/bwdclogomerged.jpg

Welcome to the Blender Week Day Challenge #16!

Challengers need to pick three items off the list in all, two from one category and one from the other. An example would be to pick two from the organic list and one from the Inorganic list, or vice versa. Texturing is allowed, but include an untextured image of your model. The untextured image will be the one used in the voting thread.

For examples of previous entries please see the gallery

All the models should be original. You can use any software you want as long as you use Blender somewhere in your modeling workflow. Also please state any non-blender software you have used for your model.

Note: If you post up more than one render of your model (excluding wireframes) please state which one we should use for the voting thread.

Deadline: 18:00 GMT (12:00 Noon Central Time) Friday 23rd November 2007

Organic:

Human Nose
Bat
Acorn

Inorganic:

Stapler
Calculator
Celtic Chariot

NOTE: If you have any ideas for modeling topics please pm me with them, thanks!

Yo. looks around Anybody here?

Attachments

Hello. Here are my first entries to any Blender contest.

Any and all critiques welcomed. I’m still a noob after a year or so of messing with Blender.

Eric S

Attachments

Those are either acorns or odd shaped olives with stupid hats — when you can’t make an acorn, just build a composition and add dramatic lights. The stapler and calculator are both rendered by luxrender.

[edit: I’ve added a pretty sad set of naked acorns with their bump map ripped off. They are starting to look like blimps on a bad hair day.]

Attachments

Here is my entries for this week…

now i have a question, does a displacement modifier count as texturing?

Attachments

lumpycow:

Texturing is allowed, but include an untextured image of your model

Could you post an untextured pic of the acorn please?

The acorn looks fantastic but I need to be fair to g60

More monochrome from me, all done in Blender.

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/998/blender_weekday_challenges/week_16/bwdc16_acorn_thumb.jpg http://uploader.polorix.net//files/998/blender_weekday_challenges/week_16/bwdc16_bat_thumb.jpg http://uploader.polorix.net//files/998/blender_weekday_challenges/week_16/bwdc16_stapler_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, how long are people spending on their models? I’m still getting used to everything so don’t work particularly quickly yet, but its still several hours for most of them, maybe half an hour for the acorns.

Blackcougar: I’ve edited my entry with naked acorns.

neil_j: I’m new to blender but not 3d modeling. I spend more time with the challenges that interest me and especially those that are “within sight”. I had to google for acorns but had an HP16C and a Swingline Cub in the drawer so I spent (obviously) more time on those. I am pretty sure I could lose a speed drawing contest with those acorns.

I think I have about 5 hours in my 3 for this week, with the stapler taking a bit longer than the other two. Didn’t use anything but Blender for these, v2.45. Stapler done on Windoze, the others on Linux RHFC5.

Eric S

Dang!, I can’t get an untextured version of the acorn in until later today, after work, that will be in 5 hours…

Edit: There! I think i got it in… Acorns away!!!

entries closed

…250

@ g60 -

Can I use your calculator image as clip art for the Blender Stock Exchange spreadsheet? It will be used only on one future sheet of the spreadsheet. I will ad " © g60 2007. Image used with permission." underneath it. I added an example of the spreadsheet down below.

Attachments

g60, teelaklaatu - Thanks for the replies, I wasn’t sure if I was just being really slow, as all the previous models I’ve played around with have been random shapes rather than trying to make something realistic. I guess with more practice it should get quicker.

MARS Grfx - permission granted. Please PM me if you want the .blend file.

Thanks for the permission. I wont need the .blend file, I will just need to copy it from this page as a .bmp file and scale it to about 240x180. I’ll use it in this Friday’s spreadsheet update. Thanks again.

"The Blender community is awesome!" :cool: