blender won't run on vista home

windows vista display problems
Yesterday I installed blender 2.47 on two computers at home both running Vista home. I first installed python 2.5, and the installations went fine. But, when I move the cursor around the interface the big buck bunny splash screen keeps popping up (the same on both computers). Also, if I try to scale an object it jumps and pops…the scale is not smooth. Additionally, if I try to modify the user settings (top bar), then move to another setting (filepaths for instance) the menu buttons for the last settings panel keep popping up!

After a few minutes of this blender finally crashes bigtime.

I know vista home is a general pain in the behind, but I can’t imagine that blender won’t run on this platform…can anyone please help me?

It sound like Blender is running, but you have display driver problems. Check your video card drivers to be sure they are the latest. I have been using Vista Home for years without problems. Your issues seem to be display-driver related. What kind of video card, and is GLSL fully supported?

Because blender is installed on two different types of computers (a o-belinea laptop, and an acer pc) I found it rather strange that the problem is identical on both machines regardless of the types of graphics cards. I have already tryed to update the drivers on both machines…but both machines already have the most up to date drivers. Is there something else I’m missing during the install perhaps?

can you tell us what is the video card you have on thess machine?

you can also serach this forum for vista there are lot’s of tips on how to with vista

and i have vista with intel chipset and it’s working not too bad
mind you there is a bug for the video driver but still working fine for most of blender

Salutations

I’m at work at this moment (The Netherlands) I’ll check that info tonight (around 20:00 CET). Again, I found it very wierd that the problem was absolutely identical on BOTH machines, even though they have different processors and graphics cards…Thanks for the attention!

Well, they are both running Vista.

I checked my video drivers last night and because both computers are “0ff the shelf” standard laptop and PC, the only info I find by the drivers is “standard PnP device”.

Any Idea’s?

Thanx,
Dersch

I checked my video drivers last night and because both computers are “0ff the shelf” standard laptop and PC, the only info I find by the drivers is “standard PnP device”. And what the heck is GLSL?

Any Idea’s?..let me know!

Thanx,
Dersch