Blender wont start properly

Hello all. I bought a new computer recently and I decided to try 3D softwares.

First I downloaded Blender 64bit for my 64bit vista, but as I started it, all I could see was black screen. Just black window, not even toolbars or anything. I’ve tried reinstalling it, running it in different compatibility modes, and of course I’ve updated my geforce gtx 260 drivers.

I’ve been searchin through different forums for similar problems but haven’t found a clue. Anyone here able to assist me in this problem?

I’m on 64 bit vista and have not had any problems.

Try using the 32 bit blender as it is more stable.

Thats All I have for you.

Thank you for replying. I have tried 32bit blender but no luck. Im starting to think that I have some drivers seriously messed up. I’ve now tried blender maya and 3d wings with outcome of similiar result.

When I first got this new comp of mine, I updated graph card driver. Should of I download additional feature updates also? As in some open gl drivers, but shouldn’t those have come when i updated my graph cards driver. I’m quite a newbie when it comes to graph cards features.

It does sound like a graph card driver issue. Try downloading the latest driver again, as there seems to be some bugfixes in the latest version.

Downloaded newest nvidia gtx 260 drivers, still same result. I’m running out of ideas. Would updating bios help?

Have you really cleaned up the old drivers before installing the newest ?

Use DriverCleaner in safe mode to cleanse your OS
Then install the new ones.

Maybe you have to tweak some settings in your nVidia App ?

Are you getting any errors in your event log?

No errors on event log when I open any of these applications I mentioned.

Gwenouille I’ve always installed graph card updates directly over the old ones :stuck_out_tongue: so you might be right that could be the prob. Also, there is a possibility that I just need to set up my nvidia apps properly. Been trying to fool around with the settings, but no luck so far.

Thank you for your help, I’ll try your tips, as soon as I can find time.

Thought I was reading my own post there for a sec. I have been searching like crazy, same problem here.

64bit vista gtx 260 nvidia card.

Black screen at startup, if I move my mouse curser around I can actually move the sliders in the application still black screen though, if I ctr alt del task manager I can see the blender interface but it is unresponsive, moving task manager around just leaves black blocks in its wake.

Did you find a solution? I have also tried 64 and 32 bit versions / drivers etc.

Result of blender –d
C:\Blender3d>blender.exe
Compiled with Python version 2.6.1.
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
Warning: could not determine argv[0] path
Checking for installed Python… No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.
Saved session recovery to C: mp\quit.blend

Nothing here seems strange…

/ruckus37

If your using blender, do not get the latest version of Python. It needs to have the version of Python it works with. I believe the current version of blender uses 2.52

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.2/

Unfortunately I haven’t found a solution to this problem :confused:

I am happy to see that someone else has run to this problem, and at the sametime I feel sorry for you for that same reason.

We have common gtx 260 and vista 64 bit. Im running out of ideas, and truth be told I have “kind of” moved on and faced that I’ll not be able to use blender nor any other 3D softs.

(oh btw try google earth… At first I didn’t see earth in it :D, but after started it with direct x, it started to work?) But please if you find answer to this prob let me know also. :slight_smile: thank you.

nicktechyguy - I have downloaded the asked python, but still black screen… (yet the message box says correct python found and ok (or something like that))

Blender 2.49a for 64bit uses python 2.6. The name of the blender file install you download tells you which python version is used. That is really irrelevant since your problem has nothig to do with python and it would still run anyway if you had the wrong version. It is a driver issue. Blender uses openGL. Trya a google search for something like gtx 260 opengl driver or some such.

Richard

Wow, i have just revived an old topic to tell about the same problem, but i haven’t noticed this one.

I have the same black screen when I run Blender, but my video card is Intel X3100. I thought it was an intel drivers bug, now i see something else is going on.

P.S. It seems to work perfectly in Linux.

Ah new update to this prob of mine. When I update my geforce 260gtx drivers… Right after installin drivers if I start blender, it works like a charm! But after I boot my comp, it goes back to not working!! What is the meaning of this?
This was first discovered by ruckus37 who had similiar prob as mine.