Blender??, worth it?

I was just wondering weather blender has the powerfull game engine im looking for.

After a long while of searching for python game engines and reccurently coming across “blender” a “open source” game engine i was forced into submission and clicked on the link.

Why would i want to download a free open source game engine when i have autodesk 3ds 2009? After a while of using autodesk, then blender and comparing the two i have to admit blender is much easier to learn.

But does it have a powerfull and highly editable game engine?

For arguments sake lets use the following example: Runescape >.<

The example could have been WoW, but the very name has put many a poster off. My questions is, is blender powerfull enough to create a fully interactive, unique game such as Runescape or Wow. Is it comparable to heavy brand names such as Unreal Engine ect?

Although i am a newbie at python and 3d image making i have already shown determination by spending a good wad of cash on autodesk…

Hello and welcome
sorry if I will look a bit rude, but is your post a joke…or are you just confused?!
Anyway I’ll try to answer:
first, here, you can watch (and play) what a “pro team” could do with the Blender GE in about 6 months:?!
http://www.yofrankie.org/
Second, I was ignoring that 3DS have a game engine “inside”?!
Third, it’s better to “forget” commercial games while working with BGE, I guess?!
Fourth, if you’re new to 3D it’s better to start with some cubes, probably?!
Bye

Yeah lol, you can make games like runescape. You can make anything really, your enemy is the fps (frames per second). If you are planning to make a game similiar to Assasins creed and other nice looking games your fps will be around 5-10. That is 6 times slower than a second I think…

But if you want to make games with PS/PS2 graphics the fps will be much higher. Games like Dark Cloud and every PS1 game will work without lag. And maybe even games like Final Fantasy X…but I doubt that.

One thing is certain you can make games like runescape and wow…btw WOW sucks…
Never mention that game again…:wink:

Unreal engines (at least the newer ones) blow this thing away, but then again they require lots more knowledge and money (like 50,000$ to use). You wouldn’t even be able to buy it either (maybe) if you had the money, because they may sell to studios only.

But there are other (more power) open source game engines that can be used with python. The main thing about BGE is you don’t even need python (for simpler stuff).

But BGE is easier.

The BGE is a powerful engine with fairly nice graphical capability as of recent SVN builds.

You should’ve seen the BGE in 2.45, a museum of memory leaks and bugs.

Actually I find BGE rather weak, but it’s cool since you can still experiment several things, it’s really versatile, the problem is putting them all together :stuck_out_tongue:

As Zarnik said, BGE will work best if making games of the Play Station 1 or Nintendo 64, at much Dreamcast, quality or some old Play Station 2 games. Funny thing is that it support some good special efects seen on most modern games, but using those will make the games becoma pretty implayable.

As Zarnik said, BGE will work best if making games of the Play Station 1 or Nintendo 64, at much Dreamcast, quality or some old Play Station 2 games

Just to note, the Nintendo 64 didn’t have all the stuff that the BGE’s new GLSL shading can do like normal maps, and I have made a complete game with GLSL’ized text and per-pixel lighting that runs way more then 5-10 FPS with enable all frames on.

Yeah but then again, graphics aren’t everything. And I think that they are working on improving the game engine.
Am I right Cloud_GL?? Exactly what is the problem, why is the engine so slow??:confused:

The Apricot project (Yo Frankie) was made using the CrystalSpace engine from within Blender. I never heard of 3D Max having a game engine, it can be used to create 3D content of course just like Maya or most 3D apps.

@ParsaAkbari
Blender is not just a game engine but an authoring environment for interactive 3d content as wel as 3D (pre-rendered) animations. Using the BGE alone without CrystalSpace you wont be creating any multiplayer games like WoW or Runescape. I’m sure you can do that with CrystalSpace.

P.S.
Building an MMO is an impossible tast for 1 person.

Well, I remember when I was a noob, and dreamt of an mmo (Massive multiplayer online) like runescape, but you would need an extremely high understanding of the game engine, and a pro or two @ C++. If you don’t want MMO, then you could make a decent game with a decent team. About the GLSL shading, that’s like high quality shading, but you can only use it if you have a GLSL supporting graphics card and driver, which sucks. The game engine is getting revamped, like non-GLSL shadows. You can find all the game-nerd-maker tools in the latest version of the apricot version of blender @ http://graphicall.org. But if your an eager-McBeaver and want a higher quality game engine soon, you can use the Blender to Crystal Space exporter when it’s done. I have no info on that, just use google or start a thread.
But first, get a higher understanding of the game engine, and learn Python. Blender can make games without scripting, but for a decent one, you need python. Follow these tuts to start learning python: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128526
Here are thirty tuts on the game engine, curtesy of 3d guru: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56842
Here are a list of tools you need too easily make a game: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8780
And this is how to make various types of games: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100934
But first, get a acceptable understanding of Blender. :smiley:

just adding to modude, apricot is obsolete, the trunk has almost all the new features, the new physics and its much more stable

The trunk you mean, the latest blender right;)

the trunk is the main branch of the source tree

I suppose it would be best to think of the BGE As the BPE Blender phyics engine with game features included but i think one day it will be the BGE And not the BPE In my eyes but it is still really fun to play with

The BGE has seen a lot of active development lately. And not just from Apricot. It seems every time I turn around, something has been done to the BGE. You can find a lot of interesting things in the latest trunk builds such as GLSL and possibly soft bodies sometime soon.

For simplicity and ease of use, I don’t think many engines can beat the BGE. If you want power, I’d still start with the BGE to get your feet wet.

Also, concerning CrystalSpace: Yes it is more powerful, but it is harder to use. The reason why the Apricot team switched to the BGE was that it was taking them way to long to get things done in CS. This is also why the BGE version of Yo Frankie! has more features, but the CS version looks prettier (real-time reflections, etc).

So, in short, if you want power, no Blender isn’t the best. Crystal Space + CEL provides Python support. However, I find few game engines can compare to the BGE when it comes to speed. If you want to quickly see results and not get discouraged, at least give the BGE a shot. Hey, it’s free.

Am I right Cloud_GL??

Well yeah, the work on the BGE is still ongoing, but as far as I’ve heard you would still need quite new computer to work well with it (and mine is supposed to suppport openGL shaders, it does but like #####).
It kinda worry me the fact that they may put out the texture mode and leave it GSLS only, with would suck since my computer hardly handles it.

Just to note, the Nintendo 64 didn’t have all the stuff that the BGE’s new GLSL shading can do like normal maps, and I have made a complete game with GLSL’ized text and per-pixel lighting that runs way more then 5-10 FPS with enable all frames on.

Yeah I know the games can have loads of easy-to-do-eyecandy made with gsls (this together with psone low poly objects still looking great or weird), but the problem is that fps drops way too easily with those shaders, and some of us like using heavy scripted logic, like the ones that consumes fps by themselves.