Blender & Yafray in CADALYST Magazine! [updated link]

(mzungu) #1

Hey all,

It turns out the editors at CADALYST Magazine do read their email after all! Since I had been bit*hing about how they hadn’t put Blender in a review of visualization tools, I thot I’d better post a note about this. :wink:

Anyway, they put a blurb about Blender and Yafray in the latest edition (October, 2005) in an article by Ron LaFon entitled Visualization For Any Budget, subtitled New tools help communicate design intent. I scanned in the first page of the article and put a yellow “highlight” box around the paragraphs which mention Blender & Yafray (and me!):

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/866391/2689/user_2689/T1_2689_866391.jpg

Alternate location (imageshack.us)
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2371/cadalystmagreview2kz.th.jpg

Sure, they got the bit about the game engine being in Yafray wrong (which, looking at the way I worded my email to them, sent back in June, I can see how they might have misunderstood what i wrote), but otherwise its a pretty cool plug for Blender, eh?

(cekuhnen) #2

there are quite some author who write baooks about programs and they sometimes dont realy even know the program. :wink:

thats the way how the market works and why there are so many bad books as well.

claas

(bmax) #3

That’s 'cause most people will do anything for money… Even, God forbid, write bad books. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s good to hear Blender is getting some publicity. Open source software needs to come to people’s awareness. By people I don’t mean geeks who knew about all of this 5 years ago, but Joe Normal.

(mzungu) #4

Yeah, I love the line in this article: “visually arresting visualizations”… the dude needs to whip out a thesaurus now and again, eh? %|

I’m pretty surprised that they mentioned them (B&Y) at all. They like to keep their advertisers happy, and I’d wager their advertisers aren’t thrilled with OSS (ala M$). On the other hand, you’d think they would do some googling on their own and come up with such solutions to write about, instead of me having to email them a heads-up. Even then it looks like they didn’t do much investigating on their own (did they even visit the respective websites?), much less write any kind of proper review of Blender/Yaf.

(bmax) #5

I’m pretty surprised that they mentioned them (B&Y) at all. They like to keep their advertisers happy, and I’d wager their advertisers aren’t thrilled with OSS (ala M$). On the other hand, you’d think they would do some googling on their own and come up with such solutions to write about, instead of me having to email them a heads-up. Even then it looks like they didn’t do much investigating on their own (did they even visit the respective websites?), much less write any kind of proper review of Blender/Yaf.[/quote]

Well, I think they’re trying to get to the geek / open-source enthusiasts nieche. Especially since OS is so popular nowadays, they want to come through as up-to-date and also want to show that they’re open minded. They probably got a few more complaints than just yours, and since they don’t want to lose their audience, they decided to write up something on Blender & Yaf.

(WhiteBoy) #6

Dang. Your traffic limit has been exceeded. Guess I’ll just have to wait a bit, eh?

(yellow) #7

Blender in a magazine for proprietary CAD and Visualisation tools for engineering and architecture ?

Don’t want to put a downer on this but the readers of that magazine are used to using tools with a CAD bias and Blender ain’t one of them. They’ll just get pissed off with it and leave it behind.

Ok they might give Blender a go, it’s a free quick download and then what? I guess something like, “huh! GUI doesn’t work like CAD/Max, huh no CAD based tools, like draw some straight lines (not nurbs) and extrude, argh no fillet, no intersect lines, no automatic snapping etc etc, OK import something I’ve drawn in CAD, export to DXF -> import into Blender, WTF!! wheres all my lines gone, oh scale down by 1000 cos Blender can’t handle 1000 CAD units equaling 1m. In CAD you generally draw 1 unit = 1mm. Ok scaled it down now re import it, argh! all the lines are all over the place, where’s my curved lines, argh F–k this. Blender’s crap.”

Getting Blender under the noses of AutoCAD, Microstation and 3D max users noses I don’t think is going to help it’s cause.

When we can ‘seamlessly’ import CAD data (read DXF) into Blender accurately then Blender might stand a chance with the CAD freternity beyond a brief flurry of interest and then disapointment.

(mzungu) #8

Yeah, I’ll try to post to an alternative location sometime today… sorry.

yellow: I totally agree. But at least this is something. I mean, you and I have given blender a “chance” haven’t we? There’re some out there who are “techie” enough to tinker with blender/yafray in order to achieve something cool. Until we go thru the give and take of “getting blender under their noses” and getting their feedback (negative/painful tho it may be) can we perhaps be inspired to take blender to the next level of usability and interoperability.

I’m in the mechanical CAD arena, where many (if not most) have gone 3D - and as such have much less difficulty importing into blender using one of a few 3D options (3DS, STL, VRML to name some) For those in the architectural realm, where most work is still done 2D, this is a different story. Pity that DXF is such a big 2D translation format, since Autodesk has screwed with it so much over the years only to abandon it altogether in favor of DWF.

And the sad thing is, blender has such potential for doing arch viz work! Some of the efforts posted in this forum and on the gallery at blender3d.org are just awesome… with such potential benefit to the CAD world, its a shame that blender exhibits such barriers to entry for this large and influential and profitable industry.

BTW, (for anyone) this thread has more info on the 2D import into blender issues, with possible workaround.

(Freelancer) #9

Don’t want to put a downer on this but the readers of that magazine are used to using tools with a CAD bias and Blender ain’t one of them. They’ll just get pissed off with it and leave it behind.

I think you’re overstating the case. On the one hand, there are a legion of mediocre Autocad users who can barely use ACAD, even though they make their living with it, who fit your description. But, on the other hand, there are plenty of Architects and Architectural Drafters (like myself) who need to do artistic renderings of proposed structures as well as cad drawings.

Anyone who has struggled through trying to get a rendering out of AutoCad (which can be done, but it’s insanely difficult) is a good candidate for Blender. You’ll find there are architects who use programs like 3ds Max, or viz, or any number of others–all could easily use Blender.

(rherman) #10

Yeah, but maybe they’ll be attracted to Yafray’s game engine. LOL.

Rob