blender

Hello,
I have tried out blender for some weeks now.
cant get warm with it.
I cant even import a lwo or 3ds object. Afterwards everything looks messed up. Not like the object at all.
I can recommend everyone Metasequoia. At least its reliable, fast, no problem at all.
I have already deleted that confusing , ‘you never know whats going on with it’ software.

My judjement about blender: the worst software EVER.

this is going to be funny

Well, I’ve been using Blender for about 4 days now and after spending about 6 hours reading documentation and watching tutorial videos, I think its absolutely fantastic. One of the most well thought out interfaces I’ve ever come across - and the fact that so many people put so much effort into it and give it away for free is an absolute triumph on their part. I rendered my first movie last night to see what I could do and I’m gonna start a major (for me) 10 minute animation with music and all tonight.
Touche.

“this is going to be funny”

:smiley:

good to hear that some people do get along with blender.
I dont.
Guess I just need more intuitive programs like wings3D or Metasequoia.
Progams I can get fast and good results with.
For animations I often use bryce. thats easy to use. The drawback though: you cant make meshes with it.
Now I make meshes in metasequoia and export them into .dxf format. from there I let Bryce handle it.
Bryce can be a bit slow in rendering compared to e.g. Lightwave but Blender seems to be not so fast either.
With respect to importing Blender seems to be unreliable and slow.
I tried to import a 3ds spaceship and it took a minute.
I imported the same spaceship into the free Metasequoia within 10 seconds.
Guess everyone has his or her favourite.

Yea - I’ll agree with you on the importing external data alright - I tried to import some Wings3D objects and it took ages, but as I’m just starting out with all this, it doesn’t really make a difference to me. I was just going to use Blender for texturing and animating, but it has stronger features than Wings, so I’m going to use it for modelling now too.
BTW, I only answered this post because I thought your closing remarks were a bit on the harsh side. I’ve seen some absolutely terrible software sold for thousands without any questions asked…

Well,

I agree that anyone has the right to his own opinions, and I do agree that anyone has also the right to express his own opinions.

I also believe, and I guess that you might agree that there are places and times which might be appropriate and unappropriate for opinion expressions, common men usualy tends to consider the adjectives ‘polite’ and ‘unpolite’ as rougthly covering the ‘right place and time’ and ‘wrong place and time’ areas, even if we might discuss at any length on this.

I then have the strong impression that your first post has definitely and unmistakeably been made in the wrong place.

I rarely enter the house of a stamp collectors yelling ‘collecting stamps is crap, collect coins instead’ which is exactly what you did.

Don’t oblige me to lock this thread.

Stefano

Every 3D app interface is diferent, & Blender is perhaps more different than most. But Blender’s interface IS NOT DIFFICULT…that’s a myth (IMHO).

All you need to do is follow some of the many excellent tutorials available. Frankly, I always need tutorials to get started, regardless of the application.
Every once inawhile you’ll run into something that Blender does have/do natively, such as 3DS, which seems very basic. I run into the same thing migrating from 3DSMAX to Cinema4D. A simple search on the web will find a script for that; or that feature pop-up in one the frequent updates.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Using_Blender.80.0.html

Hope that helps. Of course, it may just be that Blender doesn’t fit your needs…and thats cool.

tip: One thing I’d do if I were to model stuff in wings and animate in blender is…do th elow cage in Wings, and let the subdivide done once in blender.

That’d make a greater importing time. Though I have imported the other day a dunno if 250k tris model, if I remember welll, and while it took a time importing, I’d say blender is relatively fast on hi res mesh handling.

metasequoia is probably one of the faster and agile softwares for huge count meshes. Today it loaded an enormous 3d scan in no time.

Indeed, I carefully tested that metasequoia deals better same meshes than Max. Which is not that hard…max eats a load of resources, and only way to go with it and hi res meshes with some comfort is trusting in good cards…(mainly for drawing complex wires…the driver in opengl and dx that comes with it has not allways been very good)

I don’t think Blender is the king of the 3d apps(no one is), but I disagree also with what you say :

“I have tried out blender for some weeks now.
cant get warm with it.
I cant even import a lwo or 3ds object. Afterwards everything looks messed up. Not like the object at all.”

There’s some problem much more related with 3d general problems. There’s a load of stuff that happens when porting a mesh.Can be the other exporter tool fault, even. maybe just u don’t know yet how to set smooth shading, or unwelded geometry (*.3ds format kills this stuff so easily) and a long, long etc.

Also, the power of Blender is -yet- in having knowledge of where are the great plugins for each format. Digging in the plugins forum u should find the latest.

Also, not every format is ideal.I’d recomend OBJ an dtrash *.3ds as soon as you can.It has a 65k tris limit, it cannot have shared UVs (neither md2 or md3) , it breaks often smoothing info, it does not support long names for materials…etc…Go for OBJ.

“I can recommend everyone Metasequoia. At least its reliable, fast, no problem at all.”

I’d agree is more inmediate to learn as is more standard in UI. But that’s only a modeller…while I think is an extremely good one…my second favourite after wings. But none of these really render or animate.

"I have already deleted that confusing , ‘you never know whats going on with it’ software. "

U should be at least more cautious, hehe. But I understand the feeling as I had it once :wink:

Blender is very good(trust me), and free. And I am not actually a Blender user. Only a 3d user.

Extrudeface, Sure, if you want to animate then maybe blender is great, and I believe you that its very good.
I wrote already: I am having it for some weeks now and I still need the tutorial if I want to create a lathe object with it. For that I always take that Pepsi bottle tuorial.

For animations I usually use Bryce, well, its not free it cost me 79 bucks.
There are surely better programs than that but its easy to use for stupid people like me :). What bothers me most about it, you cant make meshes. So I tried to get myself a program to do that.

I am sure that everyone gives his or her best to create a very nice program, but couldnt it be interesting to produce a nice plugin interface for it so that it is more userfriendly for dummies like me? And because I dont know how to read, I need a program for which no tutorials are required…dont tell me that…keep on dreaming :slight_smile:

I appreciate all support and encouragement given above. Thanks.

Blender can be very confusing at first. It can be very hard to get it to do what you want it to do. Blender has many different features which in turn makes it complex. Its not fair to say blender is bad after only working with it for a few weeks. You cant expect to be good at something without lots of practice. The only way to learn something is to either have a teacher or read about it. If blender could be mastered in a day it would not be nearly as powerful as it is now. So before you make a final verdict take a little bit more time to learn the program.

just my 2 cents

Shard

use maya, and then just SAY you used blender to create it.

that’s what I do. (blender is sooo impossible to work with)

.b

This is indeed going to be a long thread. Thanks umm.

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? Of course you can

Wow…

[quote=“Jedi Dawn”]

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? Of course you can[/quote]

Perhaps if you had read his post you would have noticed he was reffering to bryce when he said ‘you cant make meshes in it’.

Regardless I have a suggestion for people who dont like blender: Don’t use it.

Zarf

And I want a console in Blender where I just type “Do Finding Nemo 2” and it renders a Pixar quality sequel. :wink:

And I want a console in Blender where I just type “Do Finding Nemo 2” and it renders a Pixar quality sequel. ;)[/quote]

[reaches for coding hat]

Okay coming up :wink:

umm, with all due respect, you sound like the type of guy that wants to tap his brain directly into a 3D app. It’s not that easy. believe me, 3ds max, maya, and all powerful 3D apps will have a steep learning curve; you’re either going to get extreme flexibility and power or extreme ease-of-use. You can’t have both.

You can have both. (See Mirai, Wings3d, Cinema4d ect. for reference).

Zarf