BLender101 or holding the user's hands

The problem with the fonts is the font. Try to use other fonts, like robot, and you will see a better AA

The problem with Blender 101 seems like any new Blender user is likely to go through the basic tutorials (donuts, anvil, etc) and all those tuts are gonna be using default Blender so…

what tutorials? nobody goes to use a simple blender except the first 3-4 hours…

No thanks, I just prefer no AA, I really do (with appropriate fonts made to look good without AA, of course).

Well, meaning someone whom may want to use Blender101 is going have a rough time if they want to do all the basic youtube tutorials as well, since those will all be using default Blender. Seemingly this makes Blender101 almost a non-starter in a lot of cases…

I’m not sure if this is the correct post, but the title looks like it…So, i’m a basically near absolute beginnner. I am getting confused about what tools are available (built in), 2.79… And what built in tools will be added to 2.8.

But in the mean time, I am wondering if I use controls such as CTRL+B, is this a permanent destructive control? Or a hidden added modifier in some way that is non-destructive?

If I use any shortcuts, are they all destructive/permanent etc?

And where can I get a non-github safe version of a tool like BEVELR…? Seems like a great tool. same question for other tools etc.

What are the best tools for a beginner to use. BevelR, Carve Mt, BoolTool, TexTools? So many. I’m looking at Items and levels to create for UNITY game engine, minor animation of objects and text etc… That’s maybe about it…

Any simple list/beginner advice for this stuff is much appreciated.

Also, I watched Tracker Knife tutorial, but am looking for a version that uses GIMP2 etc for a UV-Image layers painting/editing tutorial if anyone knows a simple one. Thanks…

Ctrl+B is a destructive action. The alternative is to use the Bevel modifier and mark various edges with differing bevel weights, using the weight option on the modifier. Or assing vertext groups and have multiple modifiers affecting different groups.

BoolTool is, I understand, now part of 2.79 so that is available, for hard surfacing modelling, it’s very handy.

Ok, thanks. I suppose I will have to look into BEVELR for a different bevel option, as that tool seems better than both options available at the moment.

On another point I will mention for everyone next…

If anyone knows of a viewport tool that is available/ if it is available, could you please let me know the name… I am looking/hoping for a preview window that is moveable or just like the materials preview window, with an option to change view with a button etc.

This is because currently, I view youtube on my laptop and blender on my tv, because the viewport is currently not appropriately designed.

I would like one small changeable view and a large view of the work space, but blender seems not to allow this because of it’s “matching size” window opening/closing system.

I hope there is an option available, and hope someone knows where to find it…Thanks for reading…On large tv, currently have all views (top/side/render/large workspace, long low node view).

Why am I also selecting internal or external object faces etc when in edit mode, not mesh view?

hm if blender 101 is for tasks, then it would imply thats it for a workflow; if that was done right then even pro people would like it.
It could well be mean the next interface design, something that steps away from usual views.
You want to put 3D in a real movie, you want to edit a movie, you want to post process, you want to print, you want to animate, you want to create a game character (and export it), you want to make a game (python), you want a physics emulation, you want to make a 2D animation, or you want to paint, or …
… well that could make sense.