Blender3d.com gallery

Greetings:
It was a while since i checked this gallery, but yesterday talking to a friend who is a max user, i was telling him how complete blender is becoming, obviously he went to blender3d.com to check out the gallery, usually new people to a design or 3d software check its gallery to get an idea of what can be done by it, and he said to me <i>"... it looks nice, but i cant believe it hasnt been updated since april, it makes me think that in 4 months nothing good has been done, or that it takes more than 4 months to make something decent.."</i>, and i dont quite get this, if you check the last four months finished works forum youll see some great renders, even the last month ive seen some great works, so why is gallery so out of date?, and this isn`t new either it seems that it is allways out of date, i just think that the galley is an important aspect that should be taken more seriously since it is the first stop to knowing what blender is all about imo.

so why is gallery so out of date?, and this isn`t new either it seems that it is allways out of date, i just think that the galley is an important aspect that should be taken more seriously since it is the first stop to knowing what blender is all about imo.
Nowadays I never quite understand why people rely too much on galleries which are usually just STILL pictures. It could have been done in any 3d app or heavily touched up in Photoshop and made to look like it’s done in Blender, Maya, XSI, Vue, etc. If you’re selling something, believe me, you’ll do anything.:smiley: I believe ANY 3d app is capable of producing STILL pictures attractive enough to be shown in any gallery. So if you’re just after still pictures you don’t need an expensive 3d app, all you need is Blender or Carrara Basics. The battle is in character animation.

Why do people keep asking the same question over and over again? B@rt, who maintains the gallery and BlenderNation in his free time, does have a job… and a life, I think.

I understand the gallery is important as PR for Blender, but I don’t think being a bit out of date is a real problem. I actually got another fanmail just 3 days ago for a work in that April gallery… so much for being out of date. Perhaps I should get a special ‘e-fan-mail-adress’, cause damn… my inbox is getting pretty flooded with that fanmail stuff. haha… fanmail…

It could have been done in any 3d app or heavily touched up in Photoshop and made to look like it’s done in Blender, Maya, XSI, Vue, etc. If you’re selling something, believe me, you’ll do anything.

The nice thing about the blender gallery is you can be fairly sure that they’re not making up images to sell you something. I don’t know if anyone would go to that effort to make you download a free program.

The public gallery is useful not only to see what the program is capable of, but the calibre of artist that it attracts. I definitely agree that it is important that the gallery be up-to-date, especially with images/animations that demonstrate blender’s more advanced and recent features.

At the same time its important to remember that this whole show is run mostly by volunteers. So, I’m pretty happy with what we’ve got.

The nice thing about the blender gallery is you can be fairly sure that they’re not making up images to sell you something. I don’t know if anyone would go to that effort to make you download a free program.
That’s true. What is being sold in this case is the artist. Blender could be had for $0.00. Thing is, there are tons of commercial 3d apps out there not just in the media and entertainment business. There are 3d apps in industrial applications such as Pro-Engineer, Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks; or in Architecture, Jewel business, etc. All of which could employ Blender, Max, Carrara to produce nice-looking galleries.

Although we all appriciate Bart’s efforts, I really want to stress that an updated gallery is indeed appriciated as well. It has nothing to do with selling Blender, but all to do with showing a glimpse of it’s possibilities and even more a glimpse of an active community.

When sites arent updated in a long time (and there are some) people will tend to think no-body’s interested or the community isn’t very active or something :slight_smile:

(Although having an weekly update might stretch it too far!)

Bottom line: Blender is good and active, I hope websites represent that in a way.

Make your own gallery! Make a new thread, and post everyonce in a while. Have a table of contents in the first post, though.

There’s already a gallery forum here on BA.

yeah, Rogenator, i think you should link your max friend to the BA forum gallery and teach him some real, true, blender lovin’ by showing some of @ndy’s great art! :smiley: (lead him to the light side of the force, Max is the way to the dark one, tho they have chocolate cookies, never forget we have the ice-cream!)

… or volunteer.

There was a call for a reliable volunteer to maintain the blender.org gallery (way back in April, IIRC). As far as I know, no one has stepped up. WE, the community, are the reason that gallery hasn’t been updated.

Greetings:
3Dabbler, i kinda agree with you in the animations aspect, but if you check the blender gallery, animations are even more forgotten than stills, Sago, its a matter of opinions, and i respect yours, but if he cant do it due to time or other stuff i think he should be either replaced or helped, <b>NateTG</b>, i think that in this sort of things its important to complain, not as a destructive thing, instead to make it better, henrymop, thats not the point, actually there are lots of galleries, my point was especifically at the homepage, imagine that instead of seeing the gallery there were a bunch of links to other galleries, would you take it seriously?, Felix_Küt, ive tried but trying to make a stone bleed its easier in this case:mad:, Fweeb, some time ago i mailed b@rt about improving the blender gallery, not just by giving points of view but actually some code and the way it could be done, with no response, if its a matter of volunteers ive done it in the past with no response, maybe im not at the level to run the gallery, but maybe we could form a "group" for keeping-up the gallery. As said before, its just my point of view, maybe im wrong maybe im right, the point of this post was to try to clarify why the gallery was so out of date an how we could improve that aspect.

It doesn’t need code. It needs a person.

Hi all,

you’re correct; the Blender.org gallery is in dire need of an update. I thought that I could combine this work with running BlenderNation but alas, I can’t - the site takes way too much energy to also worry about the gallery. I’ve already talked to Ton about this and I’ll hand over the work any time now.

Cheers,

Bart

Okay, while we might love Blender we don’t have to be bits and bites wise - what is IIRC ?? What can I do?

If I Remember Correctly = IIRC

By the sound of Bart’s message when he says :
“I’ve already talked to Ton about this and I’ll hand over the work any time now.”…
I’d say that the matter has been taken care of and that someone will take over the job soon.

J.

I’ve been disturbed by the gallery problem for several months now, and I’m very glad it’s being worked on. I used to go to the gallery EVERY DAY to see if there was anything new. I knew that other galleries were around, but I noticed that the best of the best always ended up on the blender3d gallery, so that’s where I waited for it. I 've been restraining myself from emailing Ton himself about this, but I just figured “surely tomorrow”. In fact, I got to the point where I HATE KAYE’S KITCHEN because I wanted to see something new. The gallery IS important, especially with all the publicity since ED. Anyways, thanks to whoever takes over, and B@rt, no one holds it against you personally (I hope)

3Dabbler

i am not quite getting your point why somebody would spent so much time to create artwork outside blender in 2D or 3D and than declare it being done with Blender???

also maybe keep in mind who uses Blender and who uses maya.
animation is a quite time eating task

Who cares if the gallery has been updated? Does it affect your life?

although www.blender3d.com is a valid url, BF prefers www.blender.org

Naw, forget that part. What I’m saying is I don’t see the point of these 2D galleries on a 3D software site. Where’s the 3rd dimension? None. Can we at least see the camera move in 5 secs? Some of them are paintings and has nothing to do with 3d, fcol.:smiley: