BlenderBIM - OpenBIM authoring with Blender

Hey Guys!

I was wondering, wouldn’t it be more efficient to do a FreeCADBIM instead of a BlenderBIM?
This because FreeCAD already has dedicated documentation capabilities.

I ask this because I’m wondering if it’s possible to rally-up devs and coders to make a sort of open-source free alternative to “CYPE architecture” which is a free IFC builder/modeler with a Revit/ArchiCAD like interface and workflow. but it’s useless because you have to be connected to the internet to use this tool (they have an entire ecosystem around this, awesome but again useless because you have to be online for this)

I know it’s a very very big ask. But I also think that with the community we have available now we should make a start towards developing an Open-Source BIM modeler in the form of an IFC modeler/builder. I am just a BIM Designer/CAD drafter myself so I’m not a coder. So although I don’t exactly know how much work it is, I do recognize that it’s a very very huge ask.

My general idea would be:
Move BlenderBIM development towards FreeCAD to create a dedicated IFC Modeler/Builder Documentation app, in combination with your Blender IFC importer.
From there on dedicated libraries (Doors, windows, curtain walls etc.) could be further developed

Of course, it would be nice to have everything within Blender, but for now, I think that it’s more efficient to use Blender as the Rendering solution for IFC files.

Here’s a link to another forum topic I just started:

I’m very curious to see your opinion on this Dion, and again thanx for the awesome Blender Add-On

1 Like