BlenderBIM - OpenBIM authoring with Blender

Hi @noidtluom,

a traceback from linux instalation attempt… Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.4 i believe)…

ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by blenderbim/libs/site/packages/ifcopenshell/_ifcopenshell_wrapper.so)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by blenderbim/libs/site/packages/ifcopenshell/_ifcopenshell_wrapper.so)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
blenderbim/libs/site/packages/ifcopenshell/__init__.py", line 55, in <module>
    raise ImportError("IfcOpenShell not built for '%s'" % python_distribution)
ImportError: IfcOpenShell not built for 'linux/64bit/python3.7'

@Okavango I think your GCC is too old, so it is running into ABI incompatibility issues. See here.

1 Like

Hi guys, I can’t install the addon on KDE Neon (Ubuntu 18.04.) and Blender 2.82a. I get this error:

@bekic.bojan - that looks like you are upgrading from an old version of BlenderBIM which had upgrade packaging issues. Just delete the old BlenderBIM Add-on manually from ~/.config/blender/2.82/scripts/addons/ and delete everything there that doesn’t isn’t another add-on that you might have installed. Also check if you have any *.so* files in ~/.config/blender/2.82/ and ~/.config/blender/2.82/scripts/ and delete them too.

Then do a fresh install of the latest version from https://blenderbim.org and it should be good. All current versions are properly packaged so you won’t run into this inconvenience again.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
It took me some time to identify the leftover .py’s, but I succeeded and the addon installs :slight_smile:

1 Like

OSArch is happy to release another BlenderBIM Add-on v0.0.200511 with over 50 new features and fixes. The BlenderBIM Add-on is 100% free and open source software that lets you author and document BIM data fully to ISO standards. Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

Highlights include improvements to object type imports, IFC document reference and information data improvements, huge improvements to documentation abilities, and support for IFC annotation geometry.

New features:

• Artists now have an option to merge aggregates into a single object to easier object manipulation
  • Metadata about aggregates themselves are imported, including attributes, psets, and relationships
  • New option to select all objects of the same object type
  • Classification hierarchies are now imported and can be browsed in a tree viewer
  • Element classification references are now imported
  • All document metadata is now imported, not just location
  • Document information metadata can now be authored and exported
  • Document information metadata can now be imported
  • Documents that are not related to objects can now be imported and managed in a UI
  • New feature to relate document information and reference entities
  • Classifications maintain their hierarchy and do not flatten upon export, allowing for richer (i.e. semi-lightweight) classification exports
  • Users can specify a list of IFC files to be cut in a section / plan / view
  • Exclude rooms from being cut by default in a section
  • New style preset for creating construction documentation graphics
  • Grid annotations now work in 3D
  • IFC metadata (like materials) is now cached when doing a section cut to improve performance
  • New UI to add annotation objects to a view like dimensions, leaders, text, levels, etc
  • New font size support for text sizes 1.8, 2.5, 3.5, 5, and 7.
  • Rebar is more efficiently created without the need for distinct circle profile objects
  • Background renders can be cached when doing a section cut to improve performance, if you are only changing annotation
  • Users can now specify a symbol for text annotation, like a label box
  • Text annotation now supports variables to extract data from IFC files
  • Geometric representation context and subcontext definitions are now imported
  • Relevant types are now auto-selected for export for convenience
  • Export feature is now more granular to export only specific contexts
  • 2D axis representations (i.e. not 3D) are now also supported from both meshes and curves
  • Authoring and exporting footprint geomset geometry contexts is now supported
  • Authoring and exporting 2D and 3D annotation geometry contexts is now supported
  • Authoring and exporting 3D profile geometry contexts is now supported
  • Text annotations with variables can have functions applied to them - e.g. to concatenate data, format data, or anything, for example to round text annotation to the nearest decimal point, or force uppercase formatting
  • BlenderBIM Add-on importing and exporting can now be done headlessly on a server, to allow for remote server processing of BIM data. There is now a BlenderBIM Add-on continuous integration server, to process IFC test cases: https://ci.blenderbim.org/
  • You can now bulk-add smart annotations to many objects at once
  • You can now manage the geometric representation contexts per object or object type, to switch, lazy-load representations from an IFC, and create new contexts
  • IFC unit settings are now preserved on import, instead of using your Blender settings
  • You can now export just a single representation to an IFC file, leaving the rest of the IFC data untouched
  • Type representations are now imported as well instead of just elements, with support for mapped geometries
  • IfcDoorStyle and IfcWindowStyle metadata (attributes, etc) from IFC2X3 are now imported
  • Annotation objects are recognised in the section cutting procedure, and not processed for a boolean cut for a more optimised cut
  • Solid line annotation objects are now supported (previously only hidden lines were supported)
  • A list of contexts are now imported for each object, and you can switch between them with a new UI
  • Section / plan / documentation cuts now recognise annotation objects, and will draw them as 2D linework
  • Stair annotations now work in 3D
  • New hatch patterns! Sexy.
  • New door tag symbol support.
  • New breakline annotation.
  • IfcAnnotation entities are now supported, to be used as you see fit.
  • Documentation sections / plans / views are now exported into IFC as groups
  • Text annotation is now exported as IfcAnnotation, with new support for IfcTextLiteralWithExtents
  • All other annotation objects (dimensions / leaders / levels / symbols / etc) are now created and exported into IfcAnnotation by default.

New fixes:

• Fix section planes sometimes not cutting through aggregates and appearing at the cursor
  • Bug where poor material data may cause a bad section cut fixed
  • Lat/longs are now converted to decimal degrees from DMS format
  • Materials are re-used on subsequent imports if they already exist to prevent material duplication
6 Likes

Really amazing amount of work, cant wait to try it out!

1 Like

Game changer! :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi Dion,

Thank you so much for sharing your add-on 100% free and open source!

• Is there a plan to implement Cost Estimating?

• How to produce this construction documentation?

@serviteur - yes, there are plans to implement cost estimating. The IFC CSV feature already lets you export schedules of elements into CSV, and there is experimental code in there for area, volume, length calculations. It also supports Qto which is part of the requirements for cost estimation.

Producing that construction documentation requires the features in the “Documentation” panel in the Output Properties tab. You create a view, and with the active view camera, you can press “Cut section”. It is quite long to explain the full process, as it is not streamlined, but the features are there. If you are eager we can organise a screenshare (send me a PM) and I can demonstrate how.

Thanks for your assistant to show me how your Add on BlenderBIM work. :grinning:

I sent you a PM.

That is truly a great update, thanks for that, this push Blender into other level.

1 Like

I have a little question and hope and I know maybe the answer, but a response from who are more involved on developing, can eliminate my doubts, Is possible use the IFC file for boats component design such as for structures and many mechanical parts with BIM features If add a specif attributes to the parts?

@pafurijaz The IFC format is primarily designed for the built environment, so I’m not sure if a “boat” counts… that said, boats are big and do house people, so there is no reason why you can’t use IFC for it.

1 Like

Thank you made me hopefully, I try some experiment, in this direction.

BlenderBIM Add-on v0.0.200525 has been released with yet another 30 new features and fixes. The BlenderBIM Add-on is 100% free and open source software that lets you author and document BIM data fully to ISO standards. Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

Highlights include improved clash detection features, more robust round-tripping including object re-use, basic cove.tool environmental analysis integration, and new experimental IFCXML and IFCJSON support!

New features:

• New feature to convert from local to global (georeferenced) coordinates
  • Custom Qto definitions can now be exported
  • IfcClash can now patch global coordinates to aid in accuracy of clashes
  • IfcClash can now be used standalone or as a library in any project
  • IfcClash is now bundled with the BlenderBIM Add-on for Windows and Linux (any Mac volunteers who want to build it?)
  • Exporting two IfcProjects will now merge them into a single IFC project
  • Experimental IFCXML can now be imported
  • The relative placements of the spatial hierarchy are now imported and exported
  • IfcClash now supports clashing many-to-many / multiple IFC files at once
  • IfcClash now lets users configure clash tolerance
  • IfcClash now reports the worst-case distance clash in the case of multiple clashes with the same two objects
  • IfcOpenShell now has a utility module to let you conveniently do geolocation, element filtering, and getting element properties
  • IfcClash now supports element filtering, with filter rules, and/or statements, inclusion and exclusion rules
  • IfcClash now supports internal collision checks - to check for collisions within a single group of objects
  • IfcClash now supports clash sets to be defined so you don’t need to setup the rules again each time
  • The BlenderBIM Add-on has a new UI to create and run clash sets with IfcClash
  • The BlenderBIM Add-on now has a feature to export and import clash sets
  • Simple integration with cove.tool for basic energy and daylight analysis
  • You can now export experimentally to IFCJSON format (Thanks Ioannis!)
  • BIMTester updated to latest MicroMVD syntax specification
  • BlenderBIM Add-on now allows you to specific relationship checks during IFC Diff execution
  • When importing the same file or updated files twice, existing rooted elements (spatial elements, objects, types, etc) are reused instead of duplicating
  • You can now export psets related to spatial elements
  • Users can now switch easily between IFC4 and IFC2X3 when exporting
  • New feature to select / highlight all clash results in your current 3D viewport

New fixes:

• Rewrite IfcClash system to drastically increase quality of clash detection results
  • Fix bug where monetary units can cause an import to fail
  • Fix bug where an IFC without a subcontext can cause an import to fail
  • Fix bug when exporting / round-tripping IFC2X3 to IFC4 classifications
  • Fix broken export when object names are too long
  • Fix bug where importing mapped type representations may accidentally reuse other meshes
  • More lenient parsing to skip invalid representations and not stop halfway (as discovered in ArchiCAD-produced files)
4 Likes

Great upgrades, as always!

I was wondering, would it be too complicated to expand the dependency support for older Linux systems, aligned to Blender’s 2.8x support…? I was kinda hoping i could run this (significant) features on all systems that can run 2.8…

@Okavango perhaps you can try to compile IfcOpenShell yourself on your distro? You can ask questions on the IfcOpenShell Github repo if you get stuck, and once you’ve built it, let me know and I can package it as an option for future downloads.

Ok, i guess that is the option i will have to resort to.

Just a fair note - over the last decade, out of my dozen or so attempts of building anything on linux and trying to get through the dependency mess, the success rate is 0… :smiley:

Thanks for all the work!

1 Like

I would also be interested in some details on producing this layouts. Maybe you can share some example file? One of my questions: Does the addon contains shaders for cut hatches? Or does user needs to create them separately?

1 Like