BlenderBIM - OpenBIM authoring with Blender

Hey @noidtluom this all looks very fantastic!

Speckle is a new open-source platform for exchanging AEC data between clients (Rhino, Revit, Unity, etc.) with a bunch of other things.

We are developing a Blender add-on for it which allows BIM data to be easily consumed by Blender. It’s in early stages but has some basic download / upload functionality (video).

I’d be keen to see how we could make some links with your BlenderBIM efforts, i.e. turning incoming Speckle data into BlenderBIM objects and vice versa :slight_smile:

I hope to have some time soon to take a closer look at your add-on!

@StompinTom I have seen Speckle and eyed it for quite some time :slight_smile: I’d love to collaborate! There’s a little show-and-tell in the open-source architecture community this weekend, if you’d like to join:

Feel free to add yourself to the list:

Perhaps we can also organise an online call to see how we can get it to work :slight_smile: My email is [email protected] and I’m generally available in the Sydney timezone. Just name a time and I’ll probably be available.

Sounds good! I can try to be available on Saturday to give a little overview of it :slight_smile: It will be interesting also to hear others in the open-source architecture community!

Hello, I’m trying to figure out how to export the model. I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\operator.py", line 77, in execute
    ifc_exporter.export()
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 1098, in export
    self.ifc_parser.parse()
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 153, in parse
    self.get_products()
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 210, in get_products
    self.add_product(self.get_product(product))
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 408, in get_product
    self.get_product_relating_structure(product, obj)
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 513, in get_product_relating_structure
    self.parse_product_collection(product, collection)
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 520, in parse_product_collection
    reference = self.get_spatial_structure_element_reference(collection.name)
  File "C:\Users\lmmik\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\blenderbim\export_ifc.py", line 1043, in get_spatial_structure_element_reference
    for e in self.spatial_structure_elements].index(name)
ValueError: 'IfcBuildingStorey/Reference' is not in list

I’m on windows and tried already to uninstall and install everything again (with the remove button; actually having version 0.0.200.328). I’m doing a really simple project using the archipack add-on and the button to set everything in ifc format for the blenderbim add-on provided in archipack.

I’ve followed the tutorial on blenderbim website and even with those simple steps it seems the exporter doesn’t work since the ifc file can not be read from other Softwares of ifc viewers.

Feeling a little dumb not being able to figure out what’s wrong. I really appreciate all the work but encountering some miss-steps in my workflow right now; ifc-blender-freecad combination is really powerful, hoping to get it right.

Thanks in advance!

That error looks as though it may come from Archipack. There have recently been a few modifications to have Archipack and the BlenderBIM Add-on work together, but I think our release schedules are a bit out of sync.

I’m surprised the tutorial on the BlenderBIM Add-on website does not work. Does it produce an IFC file? If it does, it should be able to be read. One possibility is that it exports an IFC4 file, but your software only supports IFC2X3. For example, I know older versions of FreeCAD bundled an IFC2X3-version of IfcOpenShell.

Feel free to send me a private message with your timezone and we can organise an online screenshare using Jitsi Meet and I can help debug your issue! If you like IRC, both Stephen Leger (Archipack) and I are online on the ##architect channel on the Freenode network.

Hi,
There is a known bug related to archipack Ifc collection structure, not adding Reference points into IfcBuildingStorey collection. Blenderbim is moving fast, but we are working together to adress those issues.
Until next archipack release, add Reference points in the collection, and add IfcBuildingStorey/ prefix to reference name, so it does match storey collection name.
IfcBuildingStorey/Reference.xxx -> Reference.xxx

Thanks for your time! With a little more patience and cold mind I was able to export/import a basic ifc file in blender --> freecad. Still some troubles with the archipack workflow but I’ll try to apply the advice of Stephen once again and see.

Thanks both again for your work.

2 weeks later since the last release, over 30 new OpenBIM features and fixes in a brand new BlenderBIM Add-on v0.0.200413 release! Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

• New feature to validate the syntax of IFC files, in case you receive a broken IFC file
  • New support for viewing and overlaying BCF snapshot images on top of the model to compare issues
  • More stabilisation fixes on multicore IFC import
  • Support added for BCF header files
  • IFC import now supports multiple materials for a single object
  • More robust material imports for BIM authoring tools that still use the deprecated IfcPresentationStyleAssignment or have missing styles (yes, Revit, that’s you!)
  • Experimental multicore support added to IFCClash
  • The IFC2CA project has joined the IfcOpenShell umbrella!
  • BIMTester now bundles test definitions so you get tests out of the box!
  • IFCDiff now checks inverse relationships for changes too
  • IFCDiff lets you specify filters for checking specific inverse relationships
  • BCF snapshots with varying aspect ratios are now supported
  • The IfcProject entity is now a real object in Blender, which can be queried and exported with all of its metadata
  • BIMTester now supports the full Project setup MicroMVD definition
  • New optional GUI in BIMTester for people who don’t like command line
  • IFCCOBie has various fixes for strange formatting on wrapped data
  • BlenderBIM Add-on dependencies repackaged inside add-on, to allow for native Blender install and uninstall procedures
  • BlenderBIM Add-on Uninstall feature removed, as it is now obsolete in favour of native Blender uninstall process
  • IFC spatial elements without any geometric representation are now imported
  • Invalid Psets without any properties (as created by Solidworks) are now imported
  • Diff import support has now been upgraded to the non-legacy import mechanism
  • Rebar is now treated specially to prevent BREP faceting, so it retains its parametric swept disk solid behaviour, and is easier to edit, imports 10 times faster and is 10 times smaller in terms of filesize
  • IFC import has an optimised spatial tree processing algorithm to handle files which have hundreds of sites and buildings for precinct BIM models
  • Psets and Qtos can be selected from a filtered list for easy user discoverability instead of having to know the IFC spec
  • New IfcExportSettings factory to let the BlenderBIM Add-on be integrated with other Blender add-ons like ArchiPack
  • Improved ArchiPack compatibility - export parametric IFC objects from Archipack!
  • Repository code cleanup of old experimental files
  • Fix for potential infinite loop during export
  • Fixed some invalid schema exports related to void/fill/projection relationships, and material assignment related to linked duplicate objects
  • New support for import and export of the IFCZIP format
  • New support for BCF component visibility settings, colouring options, and selection sets when viewing BCF topics
  • New support for BCF orthogonal camera scale factor

Also, a group of free software developers have joined to create the OSArch Community .

The Open-Source Architecture Community brings together like-minded users and developers who share a common goal: that the built environment can be designed, constructed, operated, and recycled with free software , increased transparency , and a more ethical approach.

Naturally, very closely aligned with this is to support and implement open data standards to the highest quality possible, and promote its use in the industry.

For those interested, we have a community forums: https://community.osarch.org/

We also have a Wiki: https://wiki.osarch.org/

There is also a monthly meetup, a meetup was held last weekend, where we talked about BlenderBIM and gave introductions, and we will hold another meetup next month: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/40/2nd-may-20-00-utc-monthly-meetup#latest - there are recordings if you miss a meetup :slight_smile: In the next one, @yorik will be talking about FreeCAD!

7 Likes

Yes revit that’s you!:rofl:

1 Like

please, how to reimport ifc file ??
I imported from archicad and revit but couldn’t reload

@Thi_Tran_Quoc what do you mean be reload? Is the file not able to import?

If you want to reload only changes, you need to first generate a diff, using the diff panel, and then press import.

noidtluom :
I mean use as lumion for archviz
You can watch this video

1 Like

At the moment, you will need to do this workflow. It’s a bit finicky, but it works.

For the next release I will try and build a feature to make this nicer / faster / easier.

1 Like

I thought I might try and record some mini demo videos on how parts of the BlenderBIM Add-on works, because it is quite feature-packed and can be quite daunting. Also, recording videos is faster than writing documentation :slight_smile:

Feel free to check it out - here’s the first to do with section planes, which is today’s new feature.

https://peertube.social/videos/watch/df53d014-2ae6-47ad-820b-792a81ea89a6

… or proprietary if webtorrent is blocked on your network:

5 Likes

It’s another 2 weeks, so here’s another 30 new fixes and features in the v0.0.200428 BlenderBIM Add-on release! Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

Highlights include bundled classification system selection including Uniclass and Omniclass, create and consume property set template definitions, reload IFCs, import/export with CSV, and section planes!

• IFC export now supports assigning objects to CAD presentation layers
  • Fix for incorrect grid placement in some scenarios
  • IFC group objects are now imported
  • Rebar profiles now share instances if it has the same radius to optimise rebar imports
  • Attributes or pset values can now be copied across to objects in bulk
  • IfcDiff now checks model precision when determining tolerances
  • IfcPatch now has a recipe to offset and rotate an entire model
  • Graphisoft XMLs can now be parsed into IFC, now maintained by OSArch
  • New hierarchical classification system interface, which can read IFC files as input
  • Uniclass and Omniclass are now bundled with the BlenderBIM Add-on, but a repository is provided to download many more classification systems
  • IFC files for property set templates can now be loaded and viewed
  • You can now author property set definitions and property templates in Blender and export them
  • New workaround for importing Civil 3D files with absolute coordinates
  • Old CSV-based pset definitions deprecated in favour of IFC template definitions
  • New feature to create/remove a section plane in real time
  • Support for as many section planes as you want at any angle
  • Section planes can be applied to a subset of objects, not all objects
  • Crash fix to IFCCSV when exporting non-existant attributes
  • IFCCSV is now able to be loaded as a library to be used in other applications
  • BlenderBIM now has a built-in UI to export and import from IFC and CSV
  • IFCCSV now supports exporting IfcClass as a data column
  • IFCCSV now supports querying inverse spatial and type relationships (e.g. all objects in this container, or all objects of this type)
  • Import workaround for vendors like DDS-CAD who create widely duplicated style items
  • UI to visually select objects to be exported to CSV
  • Section plane colour can now be changed
  • Support for viewing BCF line annotations
  • Support for viewing BCF clipping planes
  • Support for viewing BCF bitmaps
  • IfcDiff panel now prompts for export folder if you haven’t set one already
  • New feature to reload an existing IFC file
3 Likes

Hi!

first of all, the work your doing on this is astonishing.
Second of all, I just started learning Blender, because I’m looking to transfer my whole workflow to open source software and I had a lot of hope in it to replace the modeling part. I’ve been sitting on it for the past two weeks, hitting some serious obstacles, looking for workarounds, giving up and starting over. Then I finally found your plugin and it seems to be way more than I was ever hoping for.
I’m really excited and also really frustrated, because I can’t seem to find any documentation on all the amazing functions you’re adding, so I was wondering if I could help in any way. Could you perhaps give me a quick crashcourse so that I could start writing it for you?
I’m also convinced this would be a brilliant solution for all the architecture students in the world. The debate about the best software for architecture will probably never end, however providing an open source solution we could teach to all the students during their studies and let them use it for their own projects even after they are done studying would be huge.

Cheers Jan

1 Like

@jan.filipec thanks for your support! You’re right, there isn’t much documentation, which is why I tried to start recording videos, since it’s faster than writing docs :slight_smile:

There is documentation I started (but is now outdated and some parts misleading, so careful when reading it) here: https://blenderbim.org/docs/

I’d love it for you to contribute! It’s all open-source! I’m in Sydney, Australia, so perhaps the easiest way is for you to catch me online on IRC ##architect channel on freenode, or recently I’ve also been hanging out on blender.chat under the name Moult, so find me online during the Sydney timezone, we’ll organise a screenshare, and do a crash course that way.

1 Like

Working with an Archipack project which has become fairly large, I am trying to export it to .ifc (after using the Archipack tool for making the object into ifc classes, which worked fine). The export fails everytime however with the attached error appearing in the console. If selecting none ifc classified objects amongst those to be exported makes the export fail, can there be a mean of selecting only objects classified as ifc classes to ensure the export works, or is there a different reason why it does not work?

@DADA_universe I think you hit a bug related to the new presentation layer feature.

Fixed: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/be2556aa0cb90bffd2eef0fc14d50a390cd2e7b0