BlenderBIM - OpenBIM authoring with Blender

Just wondered if anyone uses Vectorworks with this workflow? How good is Vectorworks and how well does it work with this addon? I use ChiefArchitect and import 3d models using DAE. It is flawless. ChiefArchitect has some of the best tutorials for a CAD program I have seen. Then I use an addon from the Blendermarket and cleanup my mesh and alot ofthe triangles. https://blendermarket.com/products/bmesh-clean-add-on Just thought I would post this here because some CAD programs don’t have IFC export or Open BIM.

Excellent work with this addon. So many new features so little time…

@Zawardo is this what you’re looking for?

@bkjernisted Vectorworks seems to support IFC export. I’m not sure about ChiefArchitect. This add-on focuses on OpenBIM, so unfortunately I’m not quite sure how to support other workflows. You are free to import basic geometry and then provide OpenBIM structure to it afterwards.

@Ector3 thanks!

1 Like

ty, but when i importing the file dont import correctly all rebar(green rebar).

Im using Opern IFC Viewer and import file correctly. With Blender 2.9 and Blender 2.83 give me the same problem.
How to solve this?

@Zawardo The bug for that was fixed 8 days ago, but didn’t make it in time for the release. It should be available in the next release.

For rebar, however, it is usually advised to import using native representations, as otherwise rebar becomes unnecessarily heavy. Enable this option prior to importing. This will provide a much faster import for rebar:

Good. Now work.
immagine

Its normal if in Open ifc viewer dont visualize the objects element names?
I Found another problem. if I export same ifc file, dont import the rebar(curve objects), but I need to change in mesh objects. How to solve this?

Hi there!
Can someone help me with Documentation Export in the latest version of Blender BIM?
I watched the tutorial on Peertube concerning this over and over again, but i can’t get it working, because a lot of the functions seem to have changed in the last months.
I just can’t figure out, how to draw the object.
However, dimensions show up in the drawing, but without border marks, just as a line with the according length.
Thanks for the work on this great extension for Blender anyway,

Johannes

I had the same issue with documentation. The interface changed so the previous tutorials don’t seem to apply anymore.

@Zawardo sorry, I don’t quite understand your question. What are you trying to do? As for the missing object element name, that depends on how the other IFC viewer works. The name should be correctly stored in the resulting IFC file.

@johannes.wilde and @Ector3 - the features in documentation have moved quite quickly recently, so unfortunately the old videos no longer apply. If you’d like, come onto http://webchat.freenode.net/##architect and catch me online during Sydney daytime so I can live-chat with you and help resolve your issues.

I plan to do another release this weekend, and I will do an updated recording regarding the documentation capabilities.

1 Like

BlenderBIM Add-on v0.0.200912 has been released with 50 new features and fixes. It’s our built environment, help support the BlenderBIM Add-on: 100% free and open source software that lets you author and document BIM data fully to ISO standards. It’s built by the AEC community, for the AEC community. Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

Highlights include multiprocessing import by default, smoother workflows for drawing generation, and improved MicroMVDs for OSArch certified IFC outputs.

Screenshot credits go to OpeningDesign’s OpeningDetail project for open source construction detailing.

New features:

• Creating drawings now works with OpenGL render mode, allowing for better wireframe / hidden line rendering
  • New default site boundary CSS style
  • Multiprocessing is now enabled by default. It’s probably stable enough, so let’s test it even more!
  • You can now export to DXF automatically when creating sheets
  • Nested IfcSpaces can now be imported
  • Reloading IFCs now detects openings and projection changes, meaning it’s more robust
  • You can now set the viewport shadow from the sun position angle, useful for solar analysis
  • You can now set the georeferenced north from the Blender sun position
  • 2D annotation now extracts from IFC files directly instead of Blender, and checks for bounding box intersection to determine which annotation to show
  • Switching cameras now also activates the correct drawing styles on the fly
  • You can now add arbitrary annotation to a drawing, not just from a set of presets
  • You can now store arbitrary IFC data (attributes, properties, quantities, and type relations) in the SVG data, per drawing style
  • You can now copy properties to selected object even if the property set doesn’t exist yet
  • 3 new default hatch styles for square hatches
  • New hatch pattern for demolition
  • Show error message if attempting to add a drawing to a sheet that hasn’t been generated yet
  • You can now export quantities related to a spatial element, not just non-spatial elements
  • New debug panel lets you create shapes per STEP ID, useful for analysis of IFC geometric data
  • Dumb walls are now based on vertices by default, not edges, for faster, dumber, walls :slight_smile:
  • You no longer need to select the entire project when exporting. If you have nothing selected, everything is exported to IFC. If you select things, only selected items will export.
  • New feature lets you select high polygon meshes to help pinpoint why IFC files are so huge (looking at you, Revit!)
  • You can now switch between drawings with one click from the properties panel in the 3D view
  • The drawing list can now be manually refreshed in case you are manually creating drawings
  • Stroke linecaps are now rounded. Nicer looking drawings, you know.
  • The preset for cut objects for overall plans now includes IfcSpace, as it’s quite common
  • Text annotations in drawings can now be rotated
  • If the active object is a camera, a new temporary section plane will now match the camera
  • Text annotation now supports storing classes and IFC metadata in the SVG, like all other objects
  • Drawing dimensions now have support for imperial unit formatting
  • BIMTester can now audit for high polygon IFC geometry
  • Implement new Model Federation MicroMVD in BIMTester
  • Drawing styles can now store settings for render type, outlines, shadows, and lighting
  • You can now add openings by selecting the filling element, not just the opening element, for convenience.
  • The plan representation context is now exported by default. Less steps for 2D documentation!
  • Add support for exporting site and building addresses for IfcSite and IfcBuilding
  • Remove some deprecated representation item operators in the mesh properties panel
  • Creating drawings is now much easier with less manual workarounds
  • Users can now specify their own app to open SVGs and PDFs
  • Bump to the latest IfcOpenShell, for more robust geometry processing

New fixes:

• Fix bug where adding text didn’t work with the new scale system
  • Improved material name canonicalisation, which fixes some import failures
  • Fix bug where 2D annotation curves weren’t probably exported
  • Fix bug where plan relative level annotations were not projected correctly onto drawings
  • Fix bug where enum properties wouldn’t be exported
  • Fix inaccurate and incorrect conversion to imperial units in quantity take off
  • Fix bug where sometimes you can’t add a representation context to an object
  • Fix incorrect auditing of geolocation MicroMVD in BIMTester
  • Fix bug where some shapes that use Blender modifiers are incorrectly detected as a wireframe
  • Fix incorrect auditing of geocoding MicroMVD in BIMTester
  • Fix bug where multiple presentation style assignments in IFC2X3 would get ignored in import
3 Likes

Wow, thank you for this amazing addon.

1 Like

New short recording showing the drawing creation process:

8 Likes

I can’t say because of excitement. Thank you

1 Like

You guys have brought blender to an entirely new level. Not a tutorial, but an example of badassery. The workflow now just makes complete sense and the results look so professional . Thank you noidtluom for sharing this.

1 Like

Hi Dion,

Nice features and improvement! :grinning: Thank you so much, Dion.

1 Like

Don’t have words…only tears of joy :drooling_face:

Hey guys I was able to finally see first hand the quality results blenderbim produces. I kept getting error at the time of create drawing until I found that the measureit arch addon must have a conflict with it. Blenderbim works great as soon as I disable it. Thank you for sharing this awesome addon

2 Likes

Hi Dion,

I tried to install BlenderBIM in Blender 2.9.1 but it doesn’t work.
Can you tell me when you think BlenderBIM is ready for 2.9?
Very gratefull for your add-on, used it lots of times
Thanks

Hey @Foppe3D it looks as though the installation was not done cleanly. Perhaps due to a manual copying of the add-ons folder or otherwise. Send me a message on webchat.freenode.net/##architect and let’s screenshare and I can help you debug it!

1 Like

First:
Good work guys.

I create an project with blender and blenderbim and want to export to an .ifc.

But the export doesnt work at this project.
Maybe to much objects or faces?

ERROR report

Have any idea whats wrong?

Thanks