BlenderBIM - OpenBIM authoring with Blender

@AlTaigr it seems as though your project structure is incorrect. Perhaps, you have an IfcProject collection, but no corresponding IfcProject object. With a blank file, create a new quick project setup, and ensure it matches the collection tree shown.

You have to remove some folders and files from MAIN addon/or addon_contrib/ level:
OCC, ifcopenshell, deepdiff, jsonpickle, pystache, svgwrite, pyparsing.py, ordered_set.py

AND

paste/make clean install /ie remove older files from within BLENDERBIM folder/
thats all, afair.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct @bluecd!

BlenderBIM Add-on v0.0.201025 has been released with 33 new features and fixes. It’s our built environment, help support the BlenderBIM Add-on: 100% free and open source software that lets you author and document BIM data fully to ISO standards. It’s built by the AEC community, for the AEC community. Get it today: https://blenderbim.org/

Highlights include improved IFC clash detection results, IFC CSV can now modify classes, and new basic set of visual programming nodes for IFC and Blender Sverchok.

Screenshot credits go to Bruno Postle’s Homemaker project.

New features:

• Exporting now sets the IFC file if unset for convenience
  • IFC CSV now supports modifying IFC classes
  • You can now set facet tolerances when importing
  • Experimental native roundtripping mode, for experimentation only, with style support
  • Visit wiki link in the add-on now points to specific BlenderBIM Add-on pages
  • Material property sets are now imported
  • IFCClash now optimistically skips coincident collisions, resulting in less false positives
  • Increased maximum contact threshold for IFC Clash allows clash detection to work for larger projects
  • IFC clash now uses iterator when a filter is specified for faster clashing
  • Auto add owner histories when the user exports IFC2X3 if none is specified
  • Classification trees are now stored in the Blend file, increasing portabilty of project data
  • 16 New IFC visual programming nodes for Sverchok, including:
  • Read IFC node
  • Create IFC node
  • Write IFC node
  • Create Entity node
  • By ID node
  • By Guid node
  • By Type node
  • By Query node
  • Select Blender Objects node
  • Create Shape node
  • IFC Add node
  • IFC Remove node
  • Generate IFC Guide node
  • Read entity node
  • Get property node
  • Get attribute node

New fixes:

• Fix bug where spatial elements with a representation would import twice
  • Fix bug where box representations don’t respect project units
  • Fix IFC clash bug where spatial elements are unaffected by user filters
  • Fix bug where you can’t export if a classification is only applied to a type or spatial element
  • Fix export bug where you can’t export if project units aren’t explicitly set
5 Likes

Thanks for this update. I love blenderbim.

Me 2!! :slight_smile: love it

Hi guys,

My little two cents: would anybody help with some link or what, ;cause its still unclear to me
how much is/is not BL_BIM functional so far…
Ive been working in Revit for some time, acquired also some knowledge of BL but really cant figure out how could i use BlenderBIM and that stage? I can only see DumbWall etc plus IFC interoperability so wheres the great fun? ;))

@bluecd this may help: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_Add-on_Roadmap

In short, we are in the 0.0.x version series now. You should not expect to be able to replace tools like Revit, which have had quite a bit of a head-start. That said, the BlenderBIM Add-on already far surpasses Revit in many aspects of OpenBIM compliance.

Geometry and data is fully decoupled in OpenBIM. It is not like Revit, where the tool you use to create your object heavily dictates the data that can be placed on it. Therefore, you are free to model geometry however you wish, and then assign BIM data to it. You may use some of the basic built-in tools like the Dumb Wall tool, or you can simply model yourself, or use more parametric tools like Archipack. The choice is completely yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

Great work you have been doing. I’ve been using BlenderBIM for about a year now and really love all the good work you have been putting into it.

I currently have a problem I would like some help with.

So far, I’ve been exporting IFC4 files from BlenderBIM, but it seems that some of the software that we are planning on importing our models in only accept IFC2x3 files.

I noticed that one of the previous updates mentioned IFC2x3 export. I found that you can change the schema under MVD, but when I try to export, I only get an error message.

Is there something else I need to do to get the export to work?

Thanks in advance

@3DWizzard If you can send me your file, I can attempt to reproduce your error message, and see if I can fix it! If your file is private, please send to [email protected]

I’m also curious as to how the BlenderBIM Add-on helps you :slight_smile: Maybe it is worthwhile showcasing your work at OSArch.org? The more people in the industry are aware that free/libre and open source solutions are able to create value, the more projects like these can grow!

1 Like

I unfortunately can’t share any of my files since they are work related.

However even if I make a “quick project setup” and add a cube with a basic wall attribute and try to export that as an 2x3, it still gives an error message.

BlenderBIM has been super useful to me since prior to a year ago, I didn’t have any previous experience with BIM or IFC. I’m actually just a 3D artist that got hired by a consultant company to figure out new ways to improve the field. For the past year I have been trying to sell Blender as a strong alternative to other CAD software.

@3DWizzard that’s no good. That error looks as though the spatial tree is incorrect. Have you got a setup similar to below? You can also meet me online on IRC chat https://blenderbim.org/community.html and we can screenshare to debug it!

2020-10-27-085436_338x200_scrot

Dion Moult, Is there a way to scale down the letter representations of the grid lines. Also the scale of the dimensions value. Everything works the way you do it in the video but the circles with the letters and numbers are a little large.

After some hard work I managed to find a solution to my problem.

With the ifcWall object it seemed that ICF2x3 did not like that the wall had an “predefined type” attribute.

After manually removing the predefined type from object data, the model exported without errors.

With the actual model I had to make sure none of the objects had predefined types in their object data and had to change the call on some before it could successfully export. It did not like ifcPipeSegment for some reason, so I had to change it to ifcFlowSegment instead.

I’m not sure if there is a better way to get the 2x3 export to work.

@Ector3 the scale of the letters in grids are based on Australian drafting standards (which are very similar to other parts of the world). These are real world units. This is a 5mm vertical size. This guarantees that drawings always are legible when printed out. If they are too large, that suggests that the drawing scale is inappropriate. You can change the drawing scale here:

2020-10-27-184755_352x64_scrot

@3DWizzard ah yes, I should’ve probably mentioned that - but your error message seemed to point to a different issue. In IFC2X3, walls are not allowed to have PredefinedTypes. This is a rule of the IFC2X3 schema. Similarly, in IFC2X3, IfcPipeSegment did not yet exist. This is not a bug, I guess.

The BlenderBIM Add-on UI currently defaults to IFC4, and therefore if you want to export IFC2X3, this currently assumes that you know what IFC2X3 allows and doesn’t allow. I guess I could build the UI to auto-adjust itself for IFC2X3 to guide the user to only create valid IFC2X3 data, but it isn’t a high priority, especially as IFC2X3 is 15 years old, and the industry needs to move forward.

Wow … I changed the scale as you said and the result is beautiful. Thank you for your help

1 Like

Looks great, can’t wait to throw Civil3D and Revit out of the Window(s)!

2 Likes

pretty fantastic add-on (also file size lol)

out of curiosity could the cut section tool be extracted and offered as a single tool?
this would help interior designers a lot.
This is a very handy tool in SketchUp.

@cekuhnen the cut section tool is designed to be agnostic of Blender in theory, but has not yet been fully decoupled. It is planned to include it as a standalone function.

The filesize is so large due to the inclusion of OpenCascade, which is a requirement.

That’s great to hear!

Also not to sound negative but do you realistically think Blender has a chance here in architecture?
Not the software capability itself but more in terms of acceptance over autocad revit etc.?

The bim development is a pretty interesting add-on for me but I am not an architect.