Blenderguru Steampunk (The Swiss Navy)Last call

Latest update, fiddling with lighting angles

The ship is looking outstanding, are you using cycles or BI? Also wondering if you have plans for animating it?

It’s an entry for this months BlenderGuru competition, the subject of which is steampunk, unfortunately the rules preclude animation. Mind you, it wouldn’t take much to set it going, so I probably will, and I’ll post it here.
It is cycles, I’m still having trouble getting my head around some of the materials, but I’m getting there, I don’t think you could get results like this using BI without a lot of fiddling!

Love the render - looks really good.

Cheers, Clock.

Actually having the sun shine through the rotors was my wifes idea!

“Wives do have their uses”, he said “some place where my wife will never see this comment”, I am not that brave…

Cheers, Tick-Tock

LOL…I guess we are in the same boat @Clock.

All mine says is…“You still haven’t finished that plane of yours…boooriiing!” followed by “remember the deal I cook you do the dishes, take out the dog, don’t forget the trash and make the cuppa!”

Edit Sorry @Carel de Winter for venting out on the wife’s…LOL Great job keeping true to the idea from the sketch and following through into 3D.

Hmmm. I appear to have hit a sore point. Cathy is really supportive of my efforts, and takes part where appropriate, this is her singing in a music video we’re working on. Its a project I’ve been on for the last three months. I meant to post about it ages ago, if I mention it now then I’ll be forced to after I finish this. (It’s still a long way from finished).

LOL…mine is very supportive as well although she can get sometimes bored when I spend a few hours on the plane just doing some really intricate work that she doesn’t get or doesn’t see any progress made. Other than that she’s pretty cool about it, beside she ain’t that bad as we’ve been together for 17 years and counting.

Interesting setup you have so far on the video…would be interesting to watch it once it’s finished. Love the mix of live action and CG, I’m figuring out how I can get something done with my F-16 that is inside my possibilities.

Good job mate!

Very late to bed, texturing almost done. Work on an undercarriage, and also the cabin interior tomorrow.

Coming around very nicely.

Only 17 years - lightweight!

Mind you, you often get less “time” for murder.

I really like the renders you are doing now @carel.

Cheers, Tick-Tock.

PS I am off to do the washing up, etc. etc.

Right,
after last night’s renders this may actually looked like a step backwards. but I felt was a necessary process to go through.
There were other elements that required adding to the picture, notably the warship, and the surrounding countryside.
In order to work this out, I’ve done a series of very rough compositional layouts using A model imported from another project and some mountains created very quickly using the ant landscape add on. After this it was a case of moving things around, and seeing what I got.
Additionally towards the end I also started playing with lighting positions and also adding a mist pass as another possibility

On these three pictures you will notice that this position of the airship relative to the camera remains exactly the same. In order to do this
I parented the airship to the camera, so that no matter how much I moved the camera the airship remained in the same position relative to it.
I did this because I really liked the angle and attitude of the aircraft relative to the viewer and had already decided that I was going to use this as the basis of the picture.
None of these however past muster to my eyes looking rather confusing so I went on to the next three.

With the first of these pictures I hit on what I think was the basis of a better general composition (although I did continue to tweak it later on).
It was however looking rather dull as the shadows were being cast across the entire picture by the mountains in the background.
On the second picture I rotated the sun 90°
as you can see the warship suddenly came to life with lots of interesting shadows being cast.
In the next picture I reduced the ambient occlusion in order to make the shadows darker and more pronounced (as if it was early evening).
Other people’s comments are welcome at this point as I’m still unsure which I like the most. Anywhere after these come another three,
As I continue to try things out.

On the first of these pictures I started moving mountains, (as one does).
I can assure you this was less to do with having delusions of grandeur, and more because I wanted interesting shadows in the background.
Of course this could be regarded as a bit of a silly thing to do because I’m going to have to redo the mountains any way, but there you go
I just can’t stop fiddling with things.

In the next picture I turned the ambient occlusion back on, (at least I think I did I can’t remember now).
In the last of the three I decided to see what it would look like if it was somewhat later at night.
My thinking on this was that I’m intending to detail the cabin, complete with figures. One rather good way of bringing this to people’s attention,
Is to have a dark scene and illuminate the cabin. On reflection however I think I’d prefer it in daylight.

Two more pictures to go.

These last two have a mist pass added, one is daytime one is night time.
A definitely do want to have a certain amount of atmosphere between the objects, as this will increase the sense of scale.
However I don’t find the new mist pass in cycles to be as flexible as the old mist set up in blender internal.
It’s a shame the new volumemetrics only allow you to do night scenes. (somebody please tell me I’m wrong about this).
Anyway I think the arrangement of objects in this last set of pictures is probably about right, and I will tweak everything mercilessly as I carry on.
Unfortunately now is bedtime. Tomorrow I will either start on the warship, or the cabin interior (I haven’t decided yet)!

Okay,
I decided on the cabin interior. To start with, here are some textures that I’ve worked on this evening in preparation in photoshop.
One is of padded leather, which I will be using for the seats and perhaps some of the upholstery.
And the other is a generic steam punk control panel.

Also here is a sketch that I did in my lunch hour, of a potential pilots chair.

Funnily enough here is one I found on google images, believe it or not this is a photograph of a genuine 19th century barber’s chair.
If I had designed this one people would have believed it was not real!

Yes I like these! Maybe change the dials so they are not reading all the same value.

Cheers, Clock.

I’ll do it if I have to, At the moment I’m unsure if they will appear in the final picture, or they may be very small. At the moment copy and paste is a big time saver!:o