Blenderman export: "Can't find the totiff module"

I have got Blenderman0.1beta9 for linux, and Blender 2.37a and 2.40 alpha1 up and running nicely. I gunzipped and untarred Blenderman in /usr/local/blenderman0.1beta9.0, but the readme file you get for installation instructions when untarred is very windows-oriented. No hints on real linux paths are shown to place totiff.so; and then I have some issues with this module.

The scripts loads in blender with no hitch, but when trying to export it claims it does not find the totiff module (check console for details…).

Where could I find an ‘as-easy-as-possible’ step guide thru installing blenderman and placing the files as totiff.so and all others needed by the script?

I have yet another question regarding Blender-Pixie integration under linux:

I downloaded and installed the linux version, and loads fine onto Blender (already mentioned), but among the available renderers it shows within Blender there is no Pixie. The options are 3Dlight, AQSis, Entropy, BMRT and PRMan. In order to generate a Pixie-compatible .rib file, which one should I select?

Hope someone could help…Thanks in advance…
Juan.

I’m n Mac OS X and have the same trouble. I think it said to use the Blender base directory but I put it in all sorts of places and it doesn’t recognise it. It doesn’t even recognise it in /usr/local/lib, which the Python documentation says you should use for 3rd party modules. Anyway, I don’t think it’s a necessary module. It converts textures to tiff files so all you need to do is make sure your textures are tiff files to begin with. I use compressed tiff all the time anyway.

I’m sure PRMan is what you need for Pixie because that’s one of the main points about pixie is that it’s supposed to implement most if not all the features of PRMan. I personally prefer 3delight as it’s the only one I’ve managed to get working properly. If you intend to use Pixie, you’d probably be better off getting the Pixie export script here:

http://www.softanim.com/pixie/BlenderPixie.tar.gz

It was used/developed by a company who used Pixie in a feature film as you may have heard:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6812

-----Hey, Osxurles…you seem always ready to help!!! :smiley: :smiley:
I am the guy who posted a few weeks ago complaining Blender didn’t sound and was in deep trouble 'cos was in the middle of producing a hundred per cent free software short CG Animation…

----Well, I forgot to mention: the film will be hundred per cent procedural textures as well: no .jpg texture will exist throughout the whole production.

-----I had already visited the “Friday or another day” link…but did not help as much as expected, sadly :frowning: :frowning: I keep getting the “Can’t find the totiff module” on console.

So any of both the question still lies:
Either a)
Can’t find the totiff module…: Where the hell should I place
the totiff.so module in order for it to get found for blender?

Or b)
Where could I find wonderfully written :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: documentation that
states and explains it clearly?? (please don’t mention pixie
home page, sourceforge.net or pixie wiki…I have already visited
all of them w/no satisfactory results)…

Cheers,
Juan.
Madrid, Spain.

Ok, apparently I solved the totiff issue. As Oxrules told, totiff.so is not really necessary in order Blender exports a .rib file; though I haven’t been able to generate a .rib by myself yet. :frowning:

I managed to copy the python scripts in the scripts folder inside /.blender.

I load a .blend file like this, and then on a text editor open blenderman0.1beta9.0.py I get error: check console for details. Console says

Exporting Frame: 361
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "blenderman0.1beta9.0", line 553, in bevent
 File "blenderman0.1beta9.0", line 2170, in export 
 File "blenderman0.1beta9.0", line 2104, in writeFrame
 File "blenderman0.1beta9.0", line 1111, in writeHeader
RuntimeError: Deprecated:use RenderData,imageSizeX() and RenderDate.imageSizeY

What may I be doing wrong?

As for the totiff module, the real problem could be it was only available for python versions 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2. So it could be that the problem is not that the module can’t be found, but rather that the module is incompatible with Blender.
I never compiled the module for 2.3, and didn’t even think it was used any more by the blenderman or other scripts, afaik they will try to use another option like imagemagick or maybe PIL instead. It is only used to convert textures to tiff format, so it is not really important to the script.
I could compile a 2.3 version though if there is still a need for it, but using something like PIL instead would probably be a better option.

----Yes, in fact I have got Python 2.3.

(…) afaik they will try to use another option like imagemagick or maybe PIL instead. (…)but using something like PIL instead would probably be a better option.

----How would be that implemented within the modern versions of blender (2.37 and 2.40, which both use Python 2.3, I think)? In plain words: What is Imagemagick, how do I install/use it and where can I find something useful to read about it?

Many thanks to those who try to help…

Ah, I got this problem when using the script first time round too. The problem is because the original script is using a deprecated function call - in other words, the Blender python API has changed since the script was written.

All you need to do is to go to line 1111 where writeHeader is and change the section a few lines down that says:

resolution = display.getWinSize()
yResolution = resolution[1]
xResolution = resolution[0]

to

#resolution = display.getWinSize()
yResolution = context.imageSizeY()#resolution[1]
xResolution = context.imageSizeX()#resolution[0]

You can actually delete the code after the hash symbol (including the symbol itself) because that just comments it out. When I change other people’s code, I like to keep some of the original code if it’s important. In this case, you can delete it.