Blender's Limits?

I’ve done some looking around at tutorials and around here and haven’t found an answer to my questin. What is the limits on what you can and can’t do with only Blender. I know that for some of the potorealistic renders that you need to have HDR images. So want to know how far can you go without those and only blender. As you can probably tell I’m new to blender so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question.

The limits are your imagination.

Limits? We have no stinking limits! What limits? Your mind + your ability = your limits.

Blender does not understand limits…or boundaries.

I have tried and used nearly all of the major 3d packages, and I for one will stick with blender.

for the serious answer:
there’s memory limits & “productivity” level interface speed limits. IE slower, lower end equipment = sooner before things bog down to uselessness.

That’s all determined by what you plan on doing. But remember, the CGI movies done ~10 years ago were done on computers with less resources as what you can buy now for $1000, so there’s ways to do what you want.

Ok, thanks; I guess I’ve misunderstood somethings then.

The thing to remember about a lot of CG and graphics stuff, is that since its only a visualization or art (lets ignore different interpretations of what art is here), it doesn’t actually have to be right (physically accurate). All it has to do is look right. Often these tools are created such that what is right, looks right, but if doing it the right way is too much work, in terms of computer time or human time, then you should consider a work-around.

Ok, so what do these other programs that I keep hearing about do then? Like yafaray, gimp, Luxrender; what do these do?

yafaray only renders a pre-made scene, as do Luxrender.
Gimp is an image manipulation program, like photoshop (2D!!).
Blender is a feature-rich 3d creation software, with an internal renderer.

So what’s the point in using them?

to make stuff.

Blender is a tremendously powerful program. Nevertheless, it can only be “a tool,” in your hands.

So …

• Learn as much as you can, both about the Blender tool and the various tasks that CG artists perform (using it or any other tool).
  • Plan your particular project. As the Perl programmers like to say, “There’s More Than One Way To Do It.” You are looking for a strategy that you know how to do, that will yield a result that is good enough for the purpose, and that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time with the resources that you have. It is a very good idea to be thorough, because even a modest project can take a long time, and if you didn’t plan well, a great deal of that time could be waste.
  • Do little studies first. Just like painters and sculptors did. Set up little examples to try a particular technique. Look for existing tutorials and carefully do them. “Try it,” using things that you can afford to throw away.
  • “Yes, there are limits.”
  • “No, you are extremely unlikely to find them.”
  • “And if you do, there’s another way to do it…”

time is the limit

Ok thanks, I often lack the planning stage in things (sometimes it turns out alright sometimes it doesn’t. I often just do whatever comes into my head at the moment; after looking at blender I thought I might eventually be able to skip that, but it helps me alot no knowing that I won’t be able to do that.

Also, I stil don’t understand what the point of using these other programs if blender can do it as well. I assume gimp is to edit the image after rendering it (did I get it right?), which I could understand but what do these other things do that improve the quality of the work?

yafaray and Luxrender (and many others) are “rendering engines.” They all accept 3d models and materials and use theories of how light reflects off or through surfaces to produce a lighted scene. In the right hands, with good modeling and planning, they can produce stunning almost photorealistic output that Blender’s internal renderer simply can’t. Luxrender uses a physically accurate technique to simulate light bouncing around a scene. The price you pay is time; it can take hours for these renderers to make an acceptable image.

The GIMP is a free open source image manipulation/painting program that is almost but not quite entirely unlike Photoshop. You can use it to postprocess a Blender render, or to produce textures, or to scribble.

However, none of these programs has a button labeled “Take mediocre work and make it awesome.” That’s up to the artist.

don’t think its a matter of planning at the point you are at. It just deciding what you want to do. If you want to design 3d models, then there a vast amount of tools in Blender to do that. If you want to make animation, you might want to import 3d models and learn the animation techniques. If you want to make photorealistic art, you will have to learn about materials and textures and lighting. If you want to make special effects, then you need to learn particle systems. Blender has such a huge amount of tools that no one person could learn everything about it and therefore define its limits. As far as wasting your time, well that is what experimenting is all about. But if you’re enjoying the ride, then the time isn’t wasted.

Well in modeling you still have to know about the textures, materials and lighting as well as the modelling and in animation you have to know all of them, don’t you?
Thanks.

what do you want to do?

Mostly modelling, that’s my main interest. Some special effects maybe as well.