Blending Life 2- Head Model

The hair is excellent, but it seems that the strands are a bit too think still. Up by the skull is fine but it looks far too think at the ends.

Hey guys, I’ve been moving -extremely- slowly on this project because I’ve been doing a lot of grad school interviews, but here’s a small update. Still messing with hair!

Attachments

I like that you added the hair YAY, um I’m also finding it hard to get great results.Love the textures as others have said but the end of the hairs are sort of sudden …and you can use “make seams” and apply seams on children in the partial simulation for your hair part on the top of the head.

Over all enjoying the progress, best of luck once again.

-make sure you check my wip out or you can find it in the critz

I actually decided to chop off some of her hair =) So another minor update, but now I’m officially taking a break from the hair and gonna redo ALL of the texture painting and bump maps… Definitely a learning process so far!

Attachments

Please work on the neck more! The way the neck is connected to the skull is very very wrong, and it’s a shame because the rest of your model is pretty decent. Just look up some anatomical reference, you’ll be able to fix it easily. Everything else (hair, skin shader) looks really good. What is your method for the hair?

Hey guys, I completely redid the texture painting because it was too low resolution (and it’s not complete yet so don’t mind the eyebrow and eyelash areas), but now I have a problem with the seams. For some reason, they seem to show when I render. People have told me that this may be cuz of mipmapping (and the seams DO disappear when i zoom in), but I cant get rid of them even when i extend the texture. Any ideas?

Also, I’ve been trying to fix what you said about the neck… if it’s still not fixed you might have to provide a paint-over or a reference or something, because then I dont know what you mean ><

Finally, about the hair: I use particle system hair where the strands get thinner towards the ends, and theres also an alpha blend texture applied to make it seem finer. Hope that answers your question =)

Attachments

Your updates to the model look really good. You can still see the neck problem in your latest render. I made a paint-over, these are my suggestions.
http://content.screencast.com/users/mattemuse/folders/Jing/media/adb575ea-6405-4362-b767-c926a3adae8c/2010-02-23_1721.png

As to my question about the hair particles, are you using 2.5 or 2.49?

Ah excellent. This will help a lot thanks!

For the hair I’m using 2.49… I’ve been afraid to upgrade, especially during this competition. I’ve only been using Blender for 10 months now and I’m still learning a LOT, so I don’t know if I want to also start learning about 2.5, at least until this competition is over =)

Btw, if anyone knows a solution to my seam problem on her forehead, please let me know asap! I’m afraid to move forward with color correction on the texture until I know that I won’t have to redo it agian ><

I think I fixed it… Lemme know if I didn’t!

Attachments

It’s better for sure, but the back of her her skull is still not anatomically correct. She has a giant cranium and tiny neck, which makes her look like an infant in profile. It’s really noticeable in the viewport screencaps you posted, but on the other hand it isn’t that noticeable in your rendered shot because of the camera angle and the hairstyle.

Her proportions are not the most attractive, but arguing whether they are anatomically correct? I find humans come in all shapes and sizes…
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4592398/CrowdSafety-main_Full.jpg

Like I said before. Her forehead looks very small. Her eyes are way to big.

Did a quick photoshop liquify to demonstrate my point. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Well I agree with you that she didn’t have enough forehead. I moved her hairline back and lowered the eyebrows a bit, and I think now it looks OK. The eyes should be the right size though, they match up with the reference image perfectly (liliana from the files provided in the challenge).

I really didn’t intend for her to be ugly (although realism was my first priority, aesthetics second), but I think if I made her eyes smaller it might rob her of the only slightly attractive feature she has… ><

Attachments

Um actually she would look a whole lot more realistic, if you did as big bad said, he is right and you could just make more effects for her bright blue eyes also her eye brow length is extremely wide. Hows the back of the head looking (Look at criticism as of it giving you something to do, not as a actual opinion -I really like your textures.

Technically we (humans) don’t come in “all” shapes and sizes. There is certainly a range of naturally occurring proportions of the human head, and deviations from that range look, well, unnatural.

Id say the issue with the forehead isn’t it’s height, but rather that it’s pretty square and could be made more round.

Alright, I shrunk the eyes, pushed down the eyebrows, made the forehead less square, and shrunk down the skull.

Attachments

The seam has magically disappeared throughout all the changes, not sure what did it. I did a bit of color correction by one of the eyebrows so you could see the length of what they will be (someone mentioned they seemed too long), and decided that it was probably the hair that was making the forehead look so square. So I changed the hair too.

Attachments

Awesome, liking that you did this. keep it up!

k I didn’t like how she looked in the last render at all… she looked like she dropped 80 IQ points so here’s another variation. Are the eyes small enough in this one or do they need to be smaller?

Attachments

great work, but her head is like a “v” try making it less wide at the top.