Blending Life - King Graham

Hi there! I saw the post for this contest and thought it sounded fun. I’ve always wanted to make a portrait fully done in blender :slight_smile: I’m not sure if I’ll finish in time, but I at least want to get a nice model done and learn how to freakin render & make materials (i’m a n00b) if nothing else.
Anyway, this is King Graham, for those who don’t know he’s from the old Sierra King’s Quest series…I loved those games when I was younger so this is a sort of tribute to them.

I’m leaning more towards the B category with this one. He looks too cartoony right now though, I gotta work on getting him looking more realistic…just takes time I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

So anyway, here’s my model thus far. I just learned about making hair so it’s kinda crappy right now, and the eyebrows i just painted on just to get an idea of how they’ll look.

I plan to do sculpting and make a normal map for the detail…see how that goes :stuck_out_tongue:

Any comments/crits welcome!

Hey there, that’s looking really good, but I think the ears are way too low. Shouldn’t the top of the ear be in line with eye? Nice eyes by the way… :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks…yeah the ears were a bit too low. Might still be too low. THe top of the ear lines up with eye if the head is at a certain angle…change the angle and it can be lower/higher.

So I did some sculpting here now, fixed up the hair more too…still has painted eyebrows though :stuck_out_tongue:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/artwork/portrait_wiprender3.jpg

http://zombiedog.spindash.net/king_grahams_ears.jpg

Ok, regarding the ears, if you feel along your cheekbone (purple) you’ll feel that your ears(green, and drawn very badly) begin just under the cheekbone, just behind the jaw(blue, at the bottom).

With the jaw itself, there are two things to mention, one is that the jawbone itself will be a little pointier than you’ve modeled his jaw, but not very visibly, because of the flesh that covers it, so, just blunt off the corners a little.

Two is much easier to see in a mirror. If you look at yourself straight on, you’ll see that where the area of the chin ends, there’s a bit of a dip, before the jaw widens again and softens out a little. This is more or less pronounced on different people BUT it’s always there. It’s because that’s where all the muscles around the mouth end, and the muscles of the jaw officially begin. I exaggerated it a little, but you should be able to get a very good idea from looking at yourself in a mirror.

The brow is pretty well shaped, but if his brow is slightly furrowed like it appears to be, then you’ll need to curve out the model (cyan) where the fat and flesh piles up, pulled by the muscles. Again, it’s always helpful to check yourself in a mirror or — even better — the face of someone you can convince to sit around and let you stare at them. :stuck_out_tongue:

The line from his nose to the corner of his mouth ends the right distance from the mouth, but it’s usually curved inward slightly (orange) because all the fat on the cheek pushes against the fold — spilling over, as it were — and yellow are just various creases that make themselves visible when you’re smiling. Although be warned the whole cheek area will be drastically different if you decide to model him in an all-out happy grin, though what you have now will work fine for a solemn, kingly smile.

Anyway, looking good. Hope this helps and keep up the good work.