Blending Life- Red Alert

Still Empty

Still Empty

try drawing some topology lines over the picture and see what you can come up with. If you can’t think of anything, I’ll see if I can’t whip something up for you.

Btw I think it is fairly important at this stage of your modelling path that you use reference images at least until you have a better understand of human anatomy, and working from a life photo will help you get that understanding. I’m not trying to put you down, btw, just start you in the right direction.

Still Empty

Hey nikolaus, if you really want a good ear, I suggest Mr. Bomb’s ear modeling tutorial

Well, one place to start is the lips. They’re a much more complex structure than they appear to be from the outside; in spite of the fact that they are fixed to a ring-shaped muscle, their visible surface is something else entirely. They’re actually two thick bands of thin-skinned, sensitive flesh bent inward, away from the outer surface of the mouth, the exposed parts of of the bands being the darker-coloured part seen from the outside.

If you take some time to look at your mouth you’ll see that the actual lips do not go all the way to the corners of your mouth, nor do they smoothly transition to the rest of your mouth; they protrude outwards, and wrap around in a saddle shape towards the corners of your mouth, gradually folding inwards until, at a few millimetres from the end, they face completely inside your mouth and are no longer visible from the outside in the closed position. In the diagram about I have outlined the outer surface in blue. The point at which it intersects the rest of the mouth and disappears is marked in cyan.

If you open your mouth and look in a mirror, turning your head sideways to see inside, you’ll see that the lips don’t stop at the corners, but are now protruding inwards–the same thicker bands of flesh–and keep on going until they meet together a centimetre or so inward from the corner of your mouth. The inside surface is marked (haphazardly) in green.

Keeping the idea of these two thicker bands wrapping around the mouth in a saddle-shape, folding towards the inside, is important to a solid, full construction of the lips and can also add a nice bit of extra depth to your model. Remember to keep the difference between the lips and the rest of the mouth fairly sharp where they protrude out, they look much softer than they are, because of sub-surface scattering, and remember to include the notch between the nose and the lip, this is a very important feature.

The important thing here is practicing from life or from a photo, if you don’t know what things actually look like you will have very little hope of modelling them from scratch. even if you don’t want to copy directly from a photo, you should at least see how the features are constructed.

By the way, a fun fact.

The colour of the lips comes from the fact that since the skin on your lips is so thin that the blood vessels etc, show through. The darker colour you see on the lips is actually your blood, which is why lips go so drastically dark-red/blue when a person is cold, compared to the skin on the rest of your body, which is thicker and hides this.

Stock photos were taken from Julia Freeman-Woolpert’s stock photo page and from the public domain image on the english wikipedia entry on lips.

Attachments

Still Empty

Still Empty

Hm, I think the shape of the head is too high, and the base of the nose should be less ‘straight’.
Maybe something like this could help
http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/10/12/t_Nikolausm_7a0738d.jpg

The textures are really nice!

Yes, the general shape of the head is quite wonky. Did you use reference images?

Still Empty

He looks weird. Use some reference background images. The ears are a bit weird too.

First rule of modelling something realistic: Always use reference images!

unless you knowledge of anatomy is really topnotch I would say use some references, heck even the pros use references that’s why sites like 3d.sk exists some references where provided for this contests so i would try and use one of those

Still Empty

Well, if you can’t find something for it modify him to fit something… this is supposed to be realistic and it’s doubtful you’ll manage that without references, even the pro’s are doing it.

Still Empty

Still Empty

Take the Moles or Liver spots or the giant freckles off…If he is 16…Well…Wait. Now that I look at it…It kind of fits in…maybe make them smaller?

Looks Good! Hope you place in top 10!

Still Empty