Blending Life- Red Alert

Still Empty

http://www.mentalwarp.com/~fred/divers/HairTutorial.avi-Video tut for 2.44 but easy to convert.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Particles-Hair-here’s the wiki page for 2.46+
And last but definitely not least, my personally favoritehttp://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Static_Particles

Still Empty

You will need to make some serious improvements to fit this model to the spirit of the Blender Life competition if I understand the competition correctly.

If I may suggest; start with the proportions of the head. Despite the wide variation in eye placement The general size of eyes in proportion to the head is very similar and yours appear to be too small resulting in the whole eye placement being just too far out of proportion for the face. To my mind it is the most glaring fault and one my eyes can’t get past. If you enlarge the eyes and then go back and adjust the eye openings in the face I think you will get a more believable look. Look at a book on classical art anatomy to get some idea of the proportions of a human face.

Still Empty

I would say as a rough guesstimate that the orb of the eyes are about half of the normal size for a teen to adult but it’s more dificult to say without a wireframe showing both the head and the eyes. The irises look about right for the size of the current eyeball and should be scaled up concurrently if you resize the eye.

Still Empty

Still Empty

try to smooth all the head in sculpt mode,it probably will help you(dont apply subsurf modifier)

Still Empty

Still Empty

Still Empty

Looking better! But his skin might be a bit too light right now. And might want to adjust the cheek bones a bit, maybe expand the area around the jaw a bit. But it is looking better!

And it would look awesome to see a high-res normal map on those trees! Like in BBB you know? Good luck!!

Man, I told you to use REFERENCES. I don’t just mean ‘look at a picture of someone’, I mean get good, front and side photographs of someone’s face, line them up, and go over it vertex by vertex. It might be more fun to eyeball it or go it alone, but if you don’t actually know what you’re doing then you’re in a world of trouble. I mean, you aren’t obligated by law to listen to me, but I’m not just saying this because I like hearing myself talk.

Seriously, get a profile and a front-on shot from a 3d reference site, and set them as background images in the 3d viewport, and just try to recreate an existing face before going off and pretending you’re Steven Stahlberg.

I don’t know why you seemed so set on ignoring everyone who was trying to give you good advice, but it isn’t a good attitude.

Still Empty

I don’t want to sound too harsh but perharps its time to pause and think where things are going wrong, I have to agree with ZombieJohn use references, even the greats Leonardo and Michaelangleo used references if you have a library close by try and get a hold of a book showcasing either of their works you will be amazed at how much pre-work went into their paintings. You need a strong foundation to begin with and reference photos set as a background for you to model on would have set you right. Using references is the standard method of working that why site like 3dsk exist

www.free3dtutorials.com check out this site its full of tutorials some even by Mr Bomb(one of the contest judges) that will teach how to model a face.

Nah guys, you are all right about him needing to get better references and line up stuff and all, but he’s to far in this model to get that click about how to correct it. Starting from scratch doesn’t exactly motivate if you catch my drift. I say let him finish this one and make it as good as he can.
Then the next one after this will be better.

It’s not all about references and studying harder, it’s also about making your brain become familiar with it. Let him finish this one and by the time he starts a new one fresh from scratch it will be better.

Still Empty

grab the nose, mouth and chin and pull it out, make it slightly more rounded - he kinda looks like he ran into a wall.

Still Empty