BlendMaster's Contest: Procedural Volumetrics - Objects That Don't Exist [Closed]

​Hey Everyone! Welcome to my NEW monthly contests. I plan on hosting these contests once a month so that all of you can be challenged to improve your skills as well as your artwork in a fun and creative way. Each month, the contest will have a different topic/theme that is selected by the champion of the previous contest. This month’s topic will be procedural volumetrics, objects that don’t exist. The idea is to create a render using only volumetrics in blender. There should be no solid objects in your scene. You could take this topic and go in many different directions. For example, you could try to create something realistic like clouds, or you could create something completely abstract. The one other rule is that this is a procedural competition. All textures should be created procedurally. The only image texture that can be used is an HDR for lighting.

Please share this contest with everyone so that we can hopefully grow the size of these contests. Specific rules and guidelines for the contest can be found on my website here: http://www.blendmaster.org/proceduralvolumetrics_contest/procedural-volumetrics-contest

Only one submission is allowed per participant. After you submit your image here with your name, within the next 24 hours, I will upload it to the contest page. That is where people can also comment about the contest as well as the submissions. All submissions are due prior to August 26th, 2018. The winner will be announced on August 30th, 2018.

The winner of this contest, if they would like, can have a time-lapse video, breakdown video, or step-by-step process of the creation of the final image featured on my website until the end of the next contest. Hopefully, as these contests grow more popular, I will be able to provide a better reward. So happy blending everyone, and please share this with everyone you can so that we can get as many participants as possible.

2 Likes

Why so limiting with all the rules? I see no logic at all in taking MOST functionality of the software away. Only volumetric and only procedural?.. so no showing off of the usual skills used in most 3d artists’ lives every day and only the most computer power hungry rendering that pretty much cuts off everybody without a render farm… Good luck with the popularity of the contest…

2 Likes

Can we use emission shaders for volumetrics?

Or does it have to be strictly absorption and scatter nodes?

Also are glass shaders acceptable with volumetrics in them?

The more I read the rules the more questions I have lol

When you say “procedural” does this mean everything needs to be done through nodes and modifiers?

Can we make a model and just use the volume material output?

1 Like

Yes you can use emission shaders for volumetrics.

The glass shader can be used if there are volumetrics in them.

When I say “procedural”, i’m only referring to textures/materials. You can hand-model, or sculpt whatever you want. Only if you were planning on using a texture, it would have to be created with nodes. You cannot use an image texture. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but this was one of the topics proposed by the winners of the previous contest, and the community voted for this particular topic. Also, these contests are meant to push you to learn and try new things in Blender. Many people might not have much experience with procedural textures or volumetrics. This contest is designed as a fun way to get people to try new things in Blender.

1 Like

Curious to see what all everyone can come up with. Hopefully not a fried PC or Laptop. Which in this case I will be sitting this one out as my desktop is going to be needed for other work and don’t feel like frying my laptop. Interesting theme though.

1 Like

You could use EEVEE right?

1 Like

Yes you can use EEVEE :slight_smile:

are we bound to cycles or can I use pixar renderman non-commercial? the volumes are similar to cycles, but offer some more renderoptimization capabilities.

1 Like

You are not bound to cycles. It is perfectly fine for you to use pixar renderman non-commercial.

I guess I will be the 1st to post.

Everything is volumetrics, So everything wouldn’t look so dull I added a glass shader on the fresnel to get some specularity.

4 Likes

are animated crazy flowing volumetrics in panoramic view also okay?! :smiley:
pan around with the mouse!

1 Like

I don’t know what it is, but it looked cool.
Made with EEVEE + compositor.

2 Likes

Yes it is fine. Is this your final entry?

nice! This is my final entry :slight_smile:

Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure. :wink:

I decided to play around with this concept and see what I could come up with. I ended up creating this abstract wallpaper with just one cube and a couple of procedural textures. If you are interested in learning how I created it, I uploaded a tutorial as well.

https://youtu.be/xKCeYkEQdqI

3 Likes

I’ve been using blender for about 6 weeks. This is my first interaction with volumetrics. Thanks for the challenge. It has helped me to grow my skills (even if it crashed my laptop a few times). Done with Cycles in blender 2.8.

2 Likes

I made this a while back. Took ages to render, but I love the end result.
The scene is a cube and a point lamp. All procedural volumetrics.
Cycles.

7 Likes

Thanks for participating, I’m glad you tried to push your skills to the next level!