BlendSling 0.21b - Launcher for BGE Games - Windows, OS X, and Linux Builds Available

Thanks, this looks pretty useful. This is rather similar to BPPlayer, right? Without having used either one, I would guess the main advantage BlendSling has over BPP is the configuration options, while BPP offers better security. Am I on the right track?

@laser blaster - Sorry, didn’t see this. It’s similar to BPPlayer, yeah. You’re on the right track, I think. It has a very, very basic level of security that can easily be bypassed as opposed to BPPlayer’s more secure methods. I’m not sure if BPPlayer has any customization options, but this does.

Updated the Windows-32 bit build to be actually 32-bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m thinking of adding a “data” folder where your game stuff would go. The advantage is that it would be easier to have a modular approach - your game goes in the “data” folder, the launcher’s stuff is outside of it. The disadvantage is that I think Blender will still use the executable’s folder position as the ‘base path’, so any relative paths will probably go from there, which isn’t very modular. If there was a way to modify the base path directory, it would be a good idea, I think.

That’s an good idea.
I’m using such a “Data”-folder system too.

It’s easier to copy one folder, which includes everything necessary for the game, into a precreated executable work-directory. :slight_smile:

This is great SolarLune, you are the best! But I have problem with game launch, so when I want to start the game I get black screen, loading and then message application stopped working and I have to close it. When I use some little game with one Scene or something it works fine, but if I wanna use some more complex game, it crashes. What is the problem?

This is great SolarLune, you are the best! But I have problem with game launch, so when I want to start the game I get black screen, loading and then message application stopped working and I have to close it. When I use some little game with one Scene or something it works fine, but if I wanna use some more complex game, it crashes. What is the problem?

SolarLune = BGE GOD! Never stops helping the community :smiley:

@Beban - I’m not sure what the problem is. Have you tried exporting a runtime of your own to see if it’s a problem with the BGE?

@led - Thanks, but I am not that skilled in the BGE.

So, Moguri recently added the ability to turn off mipmapping and toggling full-screen mode via Python. With this, the need to use BlendSling has lessened considerably. I made a little QuickSling script that loads a game blend file from an exectuable via a text file in the same directory. It’s really useful for testing your game, as you can keep your game files in a directory, and keep the demo / test executable elsewhere, but use the game files in the development directory. It’s pretty simple, too.

Here it is if anyone’s interested. Export it as a runtime, and it will create a text file consisting of the GLSL mode on th efirst line (0 = Single Texture, 1 = Multi Texture, 2 = GLSL), and the path to the game blend file on the next. Just tweak those two to point to your blend file, and go from there.

Hey SolarLune, I really found this Launcher really really good…can I change the UI of the launcher? Don’t worry, I’ll still include your name on it, I’ll just make the UI look like the actual game…

and I can also add some background music for the Launcher too :D, this is just epic

hi, thanks for share. i downloaded it and extract all files ina folder, but when i click play game button nothing happens. i do not do any changes in any files. i use blender 2.70a. any idea?

Where are you clicking it? In Blender? This is supposed to be a launcher for desktop games, not built-in Blender games. It’s no longer really updated or anything anymore, due to getting Python functions that can do the most important stuff from the launcher. Although, it does “encrypt” the game blend file and turn it into a “bgdata” file, so maybe it still can be useful in some respect.

@led - Sorry for not seeing this - Yeah, you can change the UI as you wish. It’s just an example that shows what it’s supposed to look like.

hi thanks for reply, i tried blendslings default file and it doesnt work. i tried my own blend file (not builded one) and same it doesnt work.

What version of Blender are you using? And you are using the standalone player with it, right?

Hi
I tried blendsling and it works but the animations do not play in the game. Can you help me out?

Sorry, I can’t; I have no idea what could be happening that would force your animations to not play. BlendSling’s just a starting blend file; it doesn’t do anything that Blender doesn’t support (i.e. it shouldn’t be doing anything that could cause problems).

Did you save the animations using a Fake User so that they were saved in the blend file when you went to use it with BlendSling?

Is there a problem with your scripts or anything else that could be keeping the animations from playing?

Can you confirm the problem exists on a bare-bones blend file (i.e. just a cube playing a rotating animation or something like that) that doesn’t happen without using BlendSling?