BlendX linux test binaries

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XJXJE17F

I compiled linux binaries of blendx embed to blender. (Ubuntu 7.04, Python 2.5) Was just wondering how it works with other linux users. Basically I’m interested if the engine crashes as soon as it is fired up. So if you are a linux user, please download the binaries, try the files which come in the package (bxtest1_2.blend, bxtest2.blend and bxtest3.blend) and post if they work or not.

bxtest1_2 has the best chance of working since it is the legendary sphere demo with no textures. The other two might mess up… Oh, and lately I have been having some nasty problems with the standalone blendx, and I’m not sure will I get those problems solved. The standalone is necessary if you want to export your game so that other people can play your game. Oh well, atleast one can use blendx to do some neat tests…

Anyways, here are some instructions…

Using BlendX:

• NOTE: you have to have GLEW libraries installed!
  • Before starting BlendX, make sure that bx.py file in ./blend/scripts/ is in a place where python can find it. The best place is probably the folder which contains the blender binary.
  • Press ‘p’ to start blendx!
  • All scenes have to be TRIANGLES.
  • If you want to see your models textured in BlendX, you need to use blender materials.
  • If you are trying your own scene with blendx and it crashes right at the beginning, don’t worry. There is nothing wrong with your scene, the blendx converter just messed up. Actually there is a quite high chance that your scenes won’t work with blendx right away.
  • The framerates might be a bit slow than usual because the occlusion culling system is hard coded on. The system pays off usually with scenes that have 100,000+ triangles and a lot of tightly packed objects occluding each other.

Demos:
The only scene containing a movable camera is bxtest1_2.blend. To move the camera, use WSAD and to tilt and turn the camera, use the arrow keys. bxtest2.blend and bxtest3.blend might contain some missing textures and stuff, who knows… (the packaging feature in blender is a bit of a mystery to me…)

Well, thank you for the effort…I’ve tried it with Debian etch, and it needs Glibc 2.4
hard to install…

My ubuntu machine died yesterday. I’m going to go cry myself to sleep now =[

(Actually, I’m going to start installing Debian just for this :yes:)

Through some miracle I got my ubuntu working again =], I litterally thought my xserver was screwed. Anyway, now it’s downloading.
Edit: Oops! Accidental double post

I have a ubuntu. I could test it on that. I can’t promise it’ll work, though. I keep having problems with lib6c. I try to install a newer package of lib6c but it says I have an updated version. But when I run a program that needs lib6c, ubuntu says I don’t have it. O_o

Dam’n… Megaupload Su*ks. I can’t download anything never in that site.

Anyone have a mirror?

great toonist…:yes:
thanks very much for you works and effort.
i do not prove , because a dont linux install (i only works with windows…:(:(.)
please toonist ;)post a windows version…
ah here another link for download:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1260742

Just as I thought. Ubuntu couldn’t run it. I was able extract the file correctly but when I try to run BlendX it doesn’t do anything. <Here> is an image of what the error in the terminal window.

Anyone have a mirror?

Here is a mirror link: http://uploader.polorix.net//files/418/SDImages/bx_test_linux.tar.bz2
Edit: Lol, Sorry I didn’t see your post Pocho.

What’s that supposed to mean? Just because you need a package that provides a certain library which happens to not having been installed by default? Maaan…

Anyway, the error message tells you that you need the file libgettextlib-0.16.1.so. The package that provides that file is named gettext. Only Ubuntu Feisty (7.04) and Gutsy (7.10) have the correct version of this library. Look for gettext in your package manager frontend and install it, or type

sudo apt-get install gettext

in a terminal window.

You can get such kind of info about packages at packages.ubuntu.com.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: toonist, any chance to get the source code? I’m on Kubuntu Dapper amd64, so I clearly doubt your version will run on my system. I’d like to give it a go also and would give compilation a try.

C-106 Delta, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. Just because you don’t understand how to apt-get a library doesn’t mean it can’t run it. While I’ll admit this isn’t the easiest setup, it is fairly straight forward. The installation on ubuntu will probably require a fair amount of linux knowledge. Luckily I already had pretty well all the correct libraries installed…

Complete Edit, What it takes to get BlendX Blender running. If I made some mistakes, please tell me so I can fix them:

1. Open up synaptic. Libc6 should be installed by default! if it’s not, then pick that. Now look for gettext and add that. Add openexr.
  2. After installing gettext go to http://glew.sourceforge.net and download 1.3.6. Extract the to .so files from the lib folder and extract them to your /usr/lib. Do not over write anything, only extract the libGlew1.3.6 and libglew1.3 library/shortcuts.
  3. ???
  4. Profit

Just because you don’t understand how to apt-get a library doesn’t mean it can’t run it.

I know how to get libraries and I found all of the ones I need. The problem is that most (about 60%) of all the libraries need libc6. I found libc6 but it DOES NOT INSTALL. When I try to install libc6, it tells me I already have it. But when I run a program that needs it, it says that I don’t have it. Ubuntu can run alot of stuff. However, the ubuntu I have doesn’t work. The only solution I can think of, is to completely reinstall ubuntu.

So what is the error you are getting exactly? The gettext error has nothing to do with libc6. What is your current problem with libc6? Ubuntu 7.10 comes with libc6 installed (you do NOT need the dev files). Show us your output error…

The gettext error is because the gettext library isn’t installed but the gettext library can’t be installed because libc6 isn’t working. I can’t get the error messages right now because I’m Windows, but if I remember correctly, gettext gives an error of something like this:

Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6

But when I try to install the latest libc6, I get this error:

A newer version of libc6 already exist

That’s bizzare. I’ve never heard of anyone ever having that before. At some point in time, could you manually of tinkered with libc6 and confused the package manager? did you ever manually play with anything related?

confused the package manager? did you ever manually play with anything related?

No, I started using Ubuntu about a mouth ago. Could it be the fact I changed the computer from a Windows XP to a Ubuntu?

Great stuff, but I see a glitch in the program saying theres no module named bx o_O

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.1.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have installed libglew 1.4, so is necessary the 1.3 versión?

Libc6, gettext already on the system.

Well answering myself, type in the console:
madnux@madnux-desktop:/usr/lib$ sudo cp -l libGLEW.so.1.4 libGLEW.so.1.3
madnux@madnux-desktop:/usr/lib$ sudo cp -l libGLEW.so.1.4.0 libGLEW.so.1.3.0

Using a simple scene all see wrong:
First Image
Console result:

madnux@madnux-desktop:~/downs/bx_test_linux$ ./blender -w
guessing './blender' == '/home/madnux/downs/bx_test_linux/./blender'
Compiled with Python version 2.5.1.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

BlendX 0.01 Development Version
OpenGL 2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19; NVIDIA Corporation; GeForce 7950 GT/PCI/SSE2
Data conversion time: 0.0013009

And using the bx_test_12:
Nothing happen in the 3d window.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "&lt;string&gt;", line 5, in &lt;module&gt;
ImportError: No module named bx

The others examples appear the same message:

Attachments

Oh forgot to tell that all of the scenes have to be triangles in order for it to display properly… And about the no module named bx error: Copy bx.py from ./blender/scripts/ to the folder which contains the blender binary. Then it should work. WIth me it adds the path to the ./blender/scripts automatically to the python path so it works without that hassle…

The binaries will run best probably on Ubuntu 7.04 with Python 2.5 because thats my configuration.