BlenRig 5 Public Release

Hi Guys! Yes, I’m sorry I haven’t been able to really help you… The thing is that I’ve been working on a new version of BlenRig since February and I’m still in the middle of development. Therefore I really don’t have the energy to maintain the old version with the new Blender releases, and on the other hand, I can’t publish the new version because I wouldn’t be able to give support to it with videos and stuff until I finish it… Hopefully this will happen in the next couple of months!

1 Like

Keep up the great work JP. Nothing like Blenrig for what I’m doing, so really look forward to the new version when it’s ready.

Just out of interest, I’ve been having some random rendering glitches with Blenrig characters. All working in viewport, but on render sometimes it seems certain body parts don’t update in time and I’ll get some random bugs in the rig, then I delete those misrendered frames, rerender, and repeat until all frames render correctly. Have you or anyone else seen this behaviour? I can certainly make do with a bit of rerendering, just curious.

Can you check if there’s any weird message in the console?

The only thing I can think of is that there might be some kind of dependency loop in the rig that 2.8 doesn’t like and 2.7 didn’t mind about…

Hi @jpbouza first of all congrats on making this amazing add-on! it’s one of the best rigging add-ons i ever saw in blender. I have one question when i follow the (old) online tutorials i don’t see how i can reveal the mesh deform cage. ( i’m using blender 2.83). Also really exited to see yoru working on an updated version. good luck with that!

My character’s feet are pretty close together. I’ve tried to entirely surround each foot with the mdef cage as much as possible. However when I Bind the model and move the foot, I get a bad deformation with the shoes dragging. I don’t know how to surround the feet with the mdef cage any more than I already have. Moving the feet further apart at this point would be very difficult, it would mean changing the model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the Precision level on your Mesh Deform modifier? The lower numbers (5 and below) are inaccurate, but they calculate very fast so it’s useful to test. Level 6 will give you a more accurate result, but will take longer to calculate. Level 7 is really as high as you want to go, save that for the very end when you’re ready for production because the calculation takes quite a while.

Thanks @3Dmaven! That did it. I was on Precision Level 5. When I changed it to 7 that fixed the issue.
Many thanks!

Hi. I’m still having trouble rigging my character. When I lift up the thigh, the torso cuts into it and the shorts are flipped up oddly. I’ve tried moving around the “thigh_drv_L” bone, but that hasn’t fixed the issue. When I go into Weight Painting, the model is solid blue and it doesn’t do anything to fix the issue when I paint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Thigh_drv_L is not for weight painting, thigh_def_L is the one.

Anyway, if I were you, I would start by adding a shapekey to fix that, it might be faster. For the driver of the shapekey you will indeed use thigh_drv_L. Check out the video tutorials if you don’t know how to add those shapekeys and drivers.

I’m still working on the new version of BlenRig, most of this setup will be automatic in the new version.

Thanks @jpbouza! I’ll follow the tutorials and see how to do a shapekey instead then. I can’t wait for the new version of BlenRig! Will it be a public release?

Yes yes, free as always. I’ll post it here when I have something for you guys to test :slight_smile:

Great! I look forward to it.

Is Blenrig basically broken until the new version comes out? I get the same issue dimant72 has. Started in Blender 2.91, and I’ve tried using Blender 2.8 and 2.82a.

HI @3Dmaven !!

Sorry, no no, I’ve just made a zip for you.

BlenRig_2.zip (2.4 MB)

So, the zip has a version of the addon from December that works with the old rigs. I edited it so that when you add a new blenrig armature, you get the old rig too. So almost nothing should change from the workflow you are used to.

The only difference is that you will find everything in the Viewport panel, even the rigging options for reproportion, etc.

I’m not sharing the new armature only because it requires a slightly different workflow in reporportion and I’m going to start making a step by step visual assistant for it this week. Once I have the visual assistant ready at least for the reproportion part, I’ll be able to share a beta with everyone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! Christmas came early! Gonna play with this instead of work. Thanks @jpbouza !

Ha, nah, thank you for using this crap, haha, hopefully I’ll be able to share the Beta in the next couple of weeks, the new rig is so much better… There’s not much left to be done, but things go slow with work and stuff, you know, haha.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the beta, if this new rig is any indication. So nice having the info in one spot. I can confirm that it fixed the issue of bones going crazy when getting to the ‘fix joints’ and ‘calc rolls’ part of the process.

I did have 1 issue that persisted, but now I think it might be because I’m not placing some retargeting bones correctly. I am trying to rig feet/toes by checking the BODY SETTINGS > Toggles > toggle_toes_R and toggle_toes_L setting. Those still get messed up when baking the armature. I thought I had a workaround by unchecking those options before baking. The deform bones do stay in place, but they don’t function properly (rotations, etc).

Hello! Is this project dead? Last update on gitlab was a year ago. Does anyone know if it’s still being maintained?

Look up a couple replies, @jpbouza linked an updated Blenrig. But this is just to hold us over until the beta for the new version coming soon.

1 Like