Blinking

(CubeFan973) #1

I know about Hos’ irritation at that Billy thing in Magpie because of how his eyes NEVER move. I’d like to avoid such a thing by having characters blink, but how exactly can you do this?

(VelikM) #2

Animate the eye lids using RelativeVertex keys, lots of control over the movement that way.

(mthoenes) #3

If have had good results using armatures for the eyelid blinks. It is handy to use the Actions window to control the Blink timing. It is even more fun to use the NLA editor if you have Publisher 225.

If you are doing relative keys, You can manipulate the curves for the blink key in the IPO window, I alsao recommend tyring out the RVKposer script from www.meloware.com. It will help you set up sliders for facial animations.

Good luck

(CubeFan973) #4

Hmm… maybe we should just write a Python script to say when to blink. Maybe we should also write a Python script for electric bolts. And a game within Blender, and one for motion capture, and one for…

Oh, who am I kidding? Why write Python when we’ll have open source? :smiley:

(rwenzlaff) #5

Because no set of features will ever please everyone…

The Python scripting needs to be integrated better, but for what it does, it’s a very good thing. Why should I load my computer down with eye blinking code if all I ever animate is billiard balls?

What I would like to see is a script configuration that loads scripts in the background as tools. You can select what tools you want automatically loaded, and save it in your CTRL-U file. The autoloaded scripts wouldn’t appear in the text editing window (unless you force it), they would appear as extra buttons on the screen you select.

Maybe eventually you couls add support for compiled tool plugins, but I think that may be a while off.

Bob

(CubeFan973) #6

Because no set of features will ever please everyone…

The Python scripting needs to be integrated better, but for what it does, it’s a very good thing. Why should I load my computer down with eye blinking code if all I ever animate is billiard balls?

What I would like to see is a script configuration that loads scripts in the background as tools. You can select what tools you want automatically loaded, and save it in your CTRL-U file. The autoloaded scripts wouldn’t appear in the text editing window (unless you force it), they would appear as extra buttons on the screen you select.

Maybe eventually you couls add support for compiled tool plugins, but I think that may be a while off.

Bob[/quote]

I’m not sure everyone will use every feature in Blender (why is beyond me), but blinking is neccesary if we want realistic characters.