Blocky artifacts when rendering VDB volumes with cycles

Hello,

Worth a try

1 Like

No, there’s not.

I did. Also I found a lot of reports about this issue, and it continues for years!!! Nobody cares. I moved my project to UE, and camera animation to embergen directly to render there, it is way faster.

2 Likes

At first, I too had a bit of disappointment when I tried the free VDB clouds in todays free Blender Market birthday gift, but I found the following settings made the biggest difference for me and now I’m having more fun!

Render Properties:

• Light Paths>Total 12+, Volume 12+, Transparency 6+. (Also, turn off Caustics>Reflection and Refraction. Lower total bounces for a more ash-like cloud.)
  • Volumes>Step Rate Render, Viewport, Max Steps. (These work with your VDB object properties detail settings.)
  • Color Management>View Transform> AgX. Look>Medium High Contrast. Play with exposure and your environment texture / lights. I simply used Sky Texture>Nishita.

Now select the VDB object and go to Object Data Properties>Render:

• Step Size (Smaller values will look like volcanic ash, while larger values will look like fluffy clouds. Find the value that renders without noticeable blocks.)
  • Clipping (I left this at 0 or very small values.)
    *Precision>Variable.

Material Properties>Principled Volume>Density (lower values seemed to help for fluffy clouds to avoid artifacts.)

Here’s my results:

1 Like

It’s probably too late for you, but I had the same problem and stumbled over a solution in a video about a cloud shader. I downloaded the Disney animation cloud and had the same blocky artifacts.

This seems to happen, when you set the Step Rate Render smaller than 1. So the solution is to just set the resolution to 1, since you otherwise try to get more resolution, than there is in the VDB.

Also make sure you connect an Attribute note with density typed in into the density slot in your volume shader and control it then mit a math note set to multiply.

I hope this helps anyone out there.