Blosm: Import of Google 3D Cities, OpenStreetMap, Terrain

@sam2tokyo

Thank you very much for purchasing the blender-osm addon!

Please note that there was no price change since the beginning of January.

You seemingly tried to import OSM from a file. Please send the file to the e-mail [email protected] for examination.

I’ll contact via e-mail to get additional details. I hope the problem will be solved very soon!

I’ve been searching around and haven’t found an answer, does anyone know what the url is to use google or bing satellite imagery for the image overlay.

Edit: After doing some research I found this page, apparently it isn’t legal to use that url for google or something so now I’m blocked for 24 hours, at first I was wondering why I wasn’t able to access google maps on my PC, but now I know. I think you should remove those urls for google tiles in the documentation for url examples. This might be related too.

@itneveroccurred
Please refer to the related section in the blender-osm addon documentation.

There are warnings in the documentation to use those URLs at one’s own risk, since that contradicts the terms of use of Google Maps.

The new version of blender-osm (premium) is available. It fixes some problems caused by the recent breaks in Python API in the Blender 2.80. Please download and install both the latest daily release of Blender 2.80 from https://builder.blender.org/download/ and the blender-osm (premium) addon from your purchase confirmation e-mail.

1 Like

Dear vvoovv,
I want to use this tool in my workflow in Rhinoceros 3D.
Therefore I have to export the created landscape/buidlings from Blender with .obj or .3ds.
First the .3ds export is missing in Blender 2.8. Therefore I tried to use Blender 2.79 instead.
But I seem to have issues loading the buildings (OpenStreetMap import).
I get a lot of error messages.
Second. I am not very familiar with Blender. How can I export the material/UV/image overlaya
and not only the 3D objects?
Thank you in Advance! :slight_smile:

Hi @Ksantoo
If there is an error please send its screenshot to the address [email protected]

At the moment textures can’t be exported to the popular 3D formats. Please note, that it’s also stated in the product description. There are numerous requests to enable export of textures to the popular 3D formats. We are working on it right now.

Hey @vvoovv, you made a great add-on, thanks a lot for sharing it.
By any chance, do you know if there is an addon that feeds world map tiles (from OSM or any other) into a texture and updates them as you navigate and zoom in the 3D scene, in a way so that you could navigate through it almost as fast as on openstreetmap.org without loading more data than what your screen needs?

Hi @ChameleonScales,
Could you please provide more details about your project? Then I could probably give a more dedicated answer. You could also send the details to the e-mail [email protected]

Hi,
the addon works nice, i love the rendered result! Something i noticed is that image overlay from google is more detailed than the default one. I used custom url http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=s&hl=en&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}
Now im trying to find a way to export the result as an object and import it to ue4 but no luck so far, only 3d objects, no textures!

Hi @George_sketo,

It’s possible to export an image overlay to the popular 3D formats (OBJ, FBX, DAE) in Blender 2.80

• Rename the image texture overlay to overlay.png
  • Press the button shown on the image image to unpack texture. Select the option Write file to original location after pressing the button. The texture will be written next to your Blender file
  • Replace the node Diffuse BSDF with the Principled BSDF one in the Shader Editor.
  • Export the terrain with a texture to OBJ, FBX or DAE to a file next to your Blender file.

Export of building textures is under development right now.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.
I also found it acceptable in my situation to simply render top view of terrain in blender and get perfectly matched full texture to use in other apps)

1 Like

I just bought your premium version right now. So i didnt understand if i will receive updates and how i will, if so. thanks a lot!

Hi @Sty,

You can download the latest version of the addon any time using the link in your purchase confirmation message. The new releases are announced in Facebook, Twitter and in this forum thread.

The upcoming release will feature export of building textures to the popular 3D formats.

1 Like

Alright, not sure if this is even possible but:

I have some 5m LIDAR I have inported into Blender (2.8) using BlenderGIS.
I’m trying to use Blender-osm to get satellite images overlaid on the LIDAR.
Setting the imported LIDAR as “Terrain” in the Blender-osm tool does apply the aquired images on it but:

1. The location is not correct.
  2. The mapping is not correct.

Selecting a region of the world to download photos from based on the LIDAR’s georeferencing and/or object is impossible. Importing terrain using a custom source is also impossible.
How would I go around this?
One solution I came up with is manually UV mapping the images to the LIDAR mesh but thats both time consuming and hard to do, especially on slower PCs.

Bonus bug report: the OSM tile servers provided with the addon seem to be broken. Unable to download images.

Hi @John_514,

The reason for that problem is likely different geographical projections used by your LIDAR terrain and the blender-osm addon. By default the addon uses transverse Mercator projection.

It’s possible to set a custom projection as described in the documentation. One should now the details about the projection, e.g. the coordinates of the center of Blender reference system.

I will examine the problem with the OSM tile server and provide some feedback in this forum thread.

1 Like

I see, I will look into it, thank you.

@John_514
The problem with the OSM tile server has been fixed. Please download the latest version using the link in your purchase confirmation e-mail.

Below is the explanation of the problem. Each request to a webserver contain a field “User-Agent” which contain information about the browser or a program that makes a request to the webserver. If the request is done via a Python script, the field contains that information. Some people use Python to download thousands of OSM tiles placing a heavy load on the OSM tile servers. The admins of the OSM servers seemingly blocked the tile download if the field “User-Agent” implies that the download is done via Python. So I changed the field “User-Agent” to a different value. Now it should work.

1 Like

Thank you for your super fast replies and fixes as always

Hi, I bought the premium version of blender-osm and I find it amazing!
unfortunately I can’t understand the road’s workflow :frowning:
when I import the roads I get the curves and the profiles.
The profiles are not visible, in the outliner they are grayed out.
In the geometry tab I already have the right profile for every curves.
but I can’t figure out how to use it to convert the curve into polygons, using the profile as well.

my aim would be to have all roads, as polygonal meshes, aligned to the terrain.
should I end up with a single object?

thanks in advance for your great work

Hi @apo0o,

It’s recommended to import with the option Import as a single object checked (this is is default state).

To convert a curve to the mesh in Blender 2.80 select it in the Blender 3D View, right click to activate the Object Context Menu and select Convert to Mesh.