So I have a Mini Jambox on my desk, and I thought the dimples and holes in it looked kind of interesting, and it would be interesting to try to recreate them. And here are the results:
I basically just made one of the dimples and used an Array modifier with Merge turned on to duplicate it and get enough surface to work with, applied it, and cut off the edges. I also added a bevel modifier and set an angle limit just below the edges of the dimples to give it a slight bevel. Then I extruded a border out of that, and then extruded the outer edge of that for the sides. For the other side, I just duplicated the front and moved it to the back, then just used Merge by Distance. For the holes, I created a texture with black circles against a white background by arranging the circles in the way that the holes in one of the dimples are arranged, grouped that, and duplicated it until I had a decent area to work with. Then I selected a certain area of it that would tile seamlessly, and exported that. I messed with the scale of the UVs, and pretty much was able to align them with where they should be. The holes at the edges were still a bit out-of-place, so I had to move the holes at the edges and re-export to fix that. I marked the 90° edges seams and unwrapped it, created a separate material for the area that should have holes, and added the texture to that material. There were bits of the holes outside the edge of that area that were showing through, so I had to move some of those vertices in the UV layout. I created insets for the sides and added loop cuts to tighten up the edge, so I could assign a different material for that area. The play/pause button at the top and pairing button on the side was a bit tricky. I used the Knife Project tool to draw the symbols onto the model. The Play/Pause was especially tricky, because the top surface is dipped down. So I created insets for that, and then used knife project. I tried adding a bevel modifier, and even with the Harden Normals checked and Auto Smooth on, it had these messy smooth shading issues, but I was able to mostly fix it by turning the Bevel segments to 4. The - + volume controls are just cubes and stuff, and I gave them a bevel. The power button is relatively basic, and I gave the rim an emission mat so it would glow, and then I created shapes for the headphone and micro USB jacks to cut away from the model, and gave it 2 boolean modifiers. That created shading issues at the edges though, so I added another bevel with an angle limit of just below 90. That still didn’t fix it though, so I added loop cuts to the jambox and moved the points close to the edges of the jacks to sort of create a border around them that cuts them off. I did animate the camera, but I wanted to keep this about 24 hours and I started on this about yesterday, so I didn’t use it. If I could use Eevee, I would, but 1, the jambox was darker, and 2, the holes weren’t even visible at a far enough zoom. You have to zoom in impractically close or turn up the resolution a bunch to see it properly. I suspect this is aliasing that occurs with that fine detail. I think it should add a downsampling feature where you could set a multiplier for the resolution it renders in, and then downsample to the output resolution you want. Also, if I started on this earlier and was more serious, maybe I could have rendered the animation overnight.