Blurring a texture.

Hello ,

I have a plane(on scene 2) that reads what the camera(scene 1) sees .
However ,I want to apply a blur shader on the plane ,so the output would be blurry .
I am not sure how would I do it ,as it is not a simple texture ,but a video texture .

Any help,super appreciated.

I’m not too familiar with the video texture module at all, so pardon me if I drivel nonsense.

Perhaps lowering the output texture from the video texture you have to an obscenely low resolution, I believe the result should be an appropriate blur. Ofcourse mip mapping is perfect blurring, the pixels blur more into diamonds than circles, but if the video texture will be how I think you want it, in motion that is, then I think it will do the trick nicely. And save frames to boot.

How I helped,
ATomCat

I already have a low res output ,but is still not what I need , a heavy blur is what really would make it look smooth .

I just had a rather simple Idea: Using Material Nodes, you can, via the “Mapping” Node, scale, rotate and shift/move a Textures Coordinates. So, you could set up one Texture Node several Times and have each Node’s X and Y Coordinates changed a little Bit, and then you would merge them all together using a few Color Mix Nodes.
I guess you also can do that with a Texture that is used as a Video Texture?

You could just use a simple blur GLSL shader on the plane to blur the texture. It might work, but it might not, as I’m not sure when the texture gets sent to the GPU (before or after the shader takes effect).

I have tried the nodes but they seem not to work as i have video texture…

Not sure either ,if you have and blur shader ,please dont hesitate to post it :wink:

@BlendingBGE - Sure. Here’s an example blend file. Haven’t tested it with the texture module, though.

Blurring a texture in OpenGL or DirectX applications is a common way to achieve various effects like glow in computer games and virtual reality. Implementing this with pixel shaders is easy, but sometimes applications have to run on older hardware, embedded devices or smart phones with no or limited shader support. The blurring method described in this article only requires the standard built-in bi-linear texture filter and looks similar to the well-known Gaussian blur filter.