Bmesh surprise by Jooedh: Super Knife Tool, requires testers to complete Bmesh

Looks like a vastly improved knife tool has made it to the Bmesh branch

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2010-September/031306.html

Also, if people don’t know yet, Joeedh mentions in the commit that people testing Bmesh and reporting bugs and shortfalls are right now almost a requirement to see this in Trunk, so the Graphicall builders should fire up the compilers so he can have testers.

Said it before and here I go again. I would love to test this, but I still can’t build it with scons.

Linking program ==> ‘blender’
/home/phil/Blender_builds/blender-bmesh/build/linux2/lib/libbf_modifiers.a(MOD_mirror.o): In function doMirrorOnAxis': MOD_mirror.c:(.text+0x109): undefined reference to CDDM_To_BMesh’
/home/phil/Blender_builds/blender-bmesh/build/linux2/lib/libbf_modifiers.a(MOD_array.o): In function arrayModifier_doArray.clone.2': MOD_array.c:(.text+0x292): undefined reference to CDDM_To_BMesh’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [/home/phil/Blender_builds/blender-bmesh/build/linux2/bin/blender] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

I believe this is the same build error I’ve asked about previously. Is there a Bmesh bug report page somewhere?

I get:

Linking library ==> ‘libbf_blenkernel.a’
Compiling ==> ‘BLI_kdtree.c’
source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c: In function non_recursive_bvh_div_ nodes': source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c:758: warning: ignoring #pragma omp p arallel source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c: In function BLI_bvhtree_overlap’:
source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c:1159: warning: ignoring #pragma omp
parallel
source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c: In function `dfs_find_nearest_dfs’:

source\blender\blenlib\intern\BLI_kdopbvh.c:1266: warning: array subscript has t
ype `char’
The command line is too long.
Compiling ==> ‘BLI_mempool.c’
scons: *** [C:\blender\blenderSVN\bransches\bmesh\build\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a]
Error 1
Compiling ==> ‘bpath.c’

Haven’t been able to build bmesh for some time

Same issue that papy’s one.

I have already mentioned it on blenderartists’ forums.
We can’t build Bmesh with scons on ubuntu since several months because of it.
Even if we disable all build optimizations.

I succeed with make.

I like the green pointer and the lines with points. It is cool.

Unfortunately, you have to start and end cut line on the mesh.
If you click outside of the mesh, it create vertices outside of the mesh.
These vertices move to previous viewpoint if you rotate 3dview.
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1033/bmeshknife.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There was the same kind of problem with grease pencil.
If you click on an icon of the header, you must do a ctrl press to avoid this kind of problem.

Sometimes, pointer disappears.
Sometimes, it is always snapped to vertices on Face Selection Mode.
I did not understand why.

There is no possibility to snap pointer on edge’s middle.

Wow…>> Super knife tool <<…
Sound like extra Weapon for fighting with “PRO” packages.

Yes,support undo, need it…now cut…cut…cut…

I’m can’t compile either (scons+msvc, win64). I hope they get fixes soon, otherwise it’s hard for us to provide feedback…

Compiling ==&gt; 'modifiers_bmesh.c'
modifiers_bmesh.c
Compiling ==&gt; 'multires.c'
multires.c
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(912) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(1164) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(1171) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(1191) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(1208) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\multires.c(1259) : warning C4018: '&lt;' : signed/unsigned mismatch
Compiling ==&gt; 'nla.c'
nla.c
Compiling ==&gt; 'node.c'
node.c
Compiling ==&gt; 'object.c'
object.c
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1843) : error C2275: 'DerivedMesh' : illegal use of this type as an expression
        source\blender\blenkernel\BKE_DerivedMesh.h(171) : see declaration of 'DerivedMesh'
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1843) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1859) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1859) : warning C4047: '=' : 'int' differs in levels of indirection from 'DerivedMesh *'
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1861) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1862) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1862) : error C2223: left of '-&gt;getVertArray' must point to struct/union
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1862) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1863) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1863) : error C2223: left of '-&gt;getVertDataArray' must point to struct/union
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1863) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1864) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1864) : error C2223: left of '-&gt;getNumVerts' must point to struct/union
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1864) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1882) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1882) : error C2223: left of '-&gt;getVertCo' must point to struct/union
source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.c(1882) : error C2065: 'dm' : undeclared identifier
scons: *** [C:\dev\build\bmesh\source\blender\blenkernel\intern\object.obj] Error 2
Press any key to continue . . .

)

Sweet a new bmesh playground. :slight_smile:
Compiling went out fine here on Linux64bit (CMake only). I’ll test it later this weekend.

where exactly do you report bugs for bmesh, does the bugtracker also work for branches or is it only for trunk.

Awaiting Windows build.

I’ve asked this a 2 weeks ago on the blog (but it is still waiting moderation) Bmesh would really benefit if there was some bugtracker available. We can post remarks in this forum but I don’t even know if jooedh follows these topics.

I will give the build a try when a windows version is available.

gustav goransson opened up a thread a few bmesh bugs collected so perharps someone should point joe to that thread its not ideal but at least its better than zero feedback

I will test and play around when a windows build appears

Great news!
I’m watching Graphicall for a fresh 64 bit build, and then :RocknRoll:

Build it and they will come…

I’ve sent joe a patch to fix the build errors a while ago but he must have forgotten.
By now he already fixed some of the issues by himself but one is still missing. You can download a patch for that here until he takes care of it in the branch.

how is performance with current bmesh builds? is there a noticeable difference to the old mesh system?

Waiting for a windows build :)!

Good news, but a key project like this (that’s also holding up other development) needs a little bit better organization than this.

To whom it concerns:
Are there any plans to address the problems people have mentioned in this thread? (build ability, bug tracker, some centralized place for providing feedback)

EDIT: Found a thread for BMESH Feedback at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=192498 (I don’t know if the dev visits it, though.)

At this time, I don’t even see a blog post on the dev’s site. That would be a good place for immediate feedback.

Thanks for the overview!

He’s really trying to get it to compile, now I get

scons: `C:\blender\blenderSVN\bransches\bmesh\build\lib\libbf_bmesh.a’ is up to
date.
Linking library ==> ‘libbf_blenkernel.a’
The command line is too long.
Compiling ==> ‘freetypefont.c’
source\blender\blenlib\intern\freetypefont.c:34: warning: ignoring #pragma warni
ng
Compiling ==> ‘graph.c’
Compiling ==> ‘gsqueue.c’
sCcons: *** [C:\blender\blenderSVN\bransches\bmesh\build\lib\libbf_blenkernel.a]
Error 1
ompiling ==> ‘jitter.c’