BMW i8 Roadster 3d model from scanned data

This is what I’m working on for several months now (I think I started in November). I found a free scanned 3d model of a BMW i8 Roadster (I guess it’s the 2018-2019 model) and I decided to practice reverse engineering techniques I’ve learned through the years. I tried to achieve a result aesthetically closer to class A surfacing. Of course it’s not possible to have perfect surfaces with polygons, that’s a given (there are insuperable limitations in this), but I wanted to see if I can come closer to a better and more accurate result and try to slightly surpass the mesh modeling limitations with techniques and knowledge acquired from working with standard CAD apps and classic nurbs modeling, like Rhino and mainly Alias, with which I’ve experimented and modeled stuff for quite a long time now (I used to model everything with Rhino before getting to Blender, so I have a good background in CAD apps I guess).

I hope I’ll be able to finish this eventually. I don’t have too much free time in my hands, but getting there is pleasant and rewarding, so I’ll keep pushing. C&C are always welcome!

PS I have to give credit to Chris Plush (@blengine) from CG Masters for his great tutorials on modeling cars in Blender (I have the Wrangler tutorial, and I’ve watched everything that’s relevant from him). I also want to distinguish Damien Mathew’s tutorials from others. This guy knows deeper stuff about car modeling than most common car modelers do, and his videos are very informative in general.

1 Like