BMW i8 - Shading

Its coming along pretty nice , keep it going!

Updates, yeah !

I have finished the tires, here it is :

(shaders and textures are temporary)

also, i was doing some reflection renders just to check for bumps, and then when i saw @ThorntonStrolia , i gave it a try and made this just for fun :smiley: :

(again shaders and textures are temporary).

next the rims, which one should i model : 1 or 2 ?

that’s it for now, peace :).

DOZZZ TIRES! Oh and the front is nice also XD

I say model the first rims…
I agree with Thornton though, those tires are smexy. Do you make the bumps for your tires yourself? If so, how…? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Thornton :slight_smile:

DAHT … DAHT … OOOOOOOOHHHH DEM COLOURSSSS ,
wow man… nice render… thanks for using the matlib,
is the carpaint from the material library? if so then which one is it?
i’d say model the first rim, will look better than second.

the sidewall textures are not mine, but i’m planning to make my own in this WIP, which redirects the question to Thornton, so Thornton how do you make the sidewall textures in Gimp or photoshop ? i’m planning to improve my skills in this sector of 2D so your help will be awesome :wink:

I usually use inkscape or blender because I like the finished result to be vector… also, paths are easily adjusted due to the sure amount of hit and miss on logos that cant be traced automatically. I like blender because I can automatically export a normal map, HOWEVER! Gimp, PS, and I believe maybe even inkscape, has a normal map add on, courtesy of NVidea, though, I dont think NVidea still owns the project.

The PZeros I made, I made in Inkscape, however, the Pilot super sports I made in blender. Both are nice because they can easily “attatch to path” and bend to a circle. With multiple circles you can easily measure out what belongs where. Inkscape is a little easier than blender because in blender there is no way of intersecting paths. in inkscape it is very easy to add an intersection>difference effect, but blender has its advantages with aray modifires. TBH I one time played around with adobe illustrator and it would probably be even better than blender and inkscape combined. I will be getting the CS suite again in a few monts but what I had at the time was only a demo.

Some time I should make a tutorial on making wheel wall maps.

If you have any specific questions you can PM me or even better, message me on google hangouts found in Gmail. My email is [email protected]. Unfortunately its one of those projects that because there are so many different types of wheel wall paterns, there is no 1 good way and often comes down to a mix of several apps, but the question is which app should do what.

Oh you made Pilot Super Sports? That’s exactly what I need for my M6…although I’d like the experience of making them myself so I can make other tires later…oh how tempting it is to grab some off the internet…

On another note, I’d love it if you made a tutorial on making sidewall textures, as I you can do it and I can’t :PP

But no pressure to do it, I’ll figure something out xD

Ill get around to it soon. look at my vette thread in my signature. you can find the low res version of the the PSS in normal and bump. hi res cost 6 dollars from turbo squid.

Thanks, in fact, the car paint is yours :slight_smile: and yeah from the matlib

That’s exactly what i had in mind, making them with Blender as i’m very comfortable with it rather than Ink or Gimp :p, i thought there were some kind of special approach to make them.

Here is a little update, i’ve made the bottom part, with some other details like the proximity sensors and so :

Yeah, like I said ill make a vid. The approach really shouldnt be SOLELY dependent on what you are most comfortable with. Fact of the matter is there are some things ink is just better at than blender and vice-versa. When I make a tutorial I will make notes on what aspects work better in what.

which shader did you use? the link you provided to our library appears to be botched.

fixed, i used pranavjit’s one.

I thought so. I like how his came out. Very simple but has a really cool effect. Its also good for older metal body cars.

Hi,

i finished the wheel a while ago, but didn’t have enough time to up, anyway, here you go :

right now i’m working on the details here and there, should finish the exterior soon :wink:

Ill get around to making that vid for the wheel wall ASAP. Im certain you could figure it out, but I have found for myself its easiest in context.

i’m all wainting, and i’ll have to make the interior too before starting the texturing, so on yout your own time ;).