Bone and Layers

You can hide boneset not used for particular action sequence by moving it off to different layer. After done with sequence, I can bring them back to the main layer one by one. But, is there a quick method to bring them all back to the original layer? Move all command?

If I get this right… You don’t want to see the bones you are not using in a particular action, and want to be able to seem them when they are needed, right? Well, if that’s true, then moving bones to a different layer is too much hassle for what you want. Just hide (h) the bones you don’t want to see, and unhide them afterward (alt+h).

I suppose hide works as well. And, you can hide it from Outliner as well, by deactivating eyeball icon. Only thing is that number of tutorial online mentions using layer technique. So why use layers?

I studied this layering thing little more. It appears that once layered, bone can be turned on or off from Armature Object Data > Skeleton / Layers. So you could associate bones to particular layers for organization?? What is the intent here?

Armatures have their own layer system. In the armature panel, in the skeleton tab, you have 32 layers available for bones, where as in a scene (3d view) you only have 20 layers. They basically work the same, say in your scene you have a layer with your character, one layer for the armature, one layer for the lights/camera, one layer for back ground props, etc… Just like that, you have 32 layers available for bones, and you switch which layer is visible via the skeleton tab. So you could have an armature layer for all your FK bones, one for all your IK controllers, one for your deforming bones, etc…

So just like working on a scene, and you only want to see the back ground props, you’d only turn on that layer. When working with an armature and you only want to see the FK bones, you’d only turn on that armature layer.

As to your question:

So you could associate bones to particular layers for organization?? What is the intent here?
it’s just another way to separate things into layers so you can control what’s visible on the screen, just like scene layers do.

Randy

Ok got it. Thanks Randy.