Bone heat weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones - Creature issues

Hello,

I am trying to set my creature as a parent with automatic weighting and I get the following error message:
Bone heat weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones
Any ideas? Thank you all so much!Creature assistance.blend (4.11 MB)

The automatic weights function doesn’t like disconnected pieces, overlapping or non-manifold geometry.

First, in the mesh, edit mode, select all and P(separate by loose parts) that takes the face pieces out of the calculation.
Next, either cut the tail off, like I did. Or fix the overlapping faces.
ThenSelect->Select All by Trait->Non-Manifold and rip those edges where the fins on the arms meet the main mesh. And separate those fin pieces.

Now the body should parent properly(mine did) At this point you can ctrl-z and start trying to add some of the loose pieces back and re-parent. Sometimes getting automatic weights to work is a real pain,.

But that’s the troubleshooting strategy. Identify the things that trip it up(disconnected pieces, overlapping or non-manifold geometry) and attack those things. tear it apart until it works… add back as much as you can… then deal with the left over pieces.