Bone heat weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones

I know that there are many posts like this out there, but none of them have helped me. I am of course a newbie to blender, and thought I could try rigging the following model by myself:

I took the tutorial on beginner rigging in blender guru. I used the human skeleton rig on it, and everything was going well. But when I reached the part where i parent the skeleton to the model, it gave me the error shown in the title. After an hour or two of dissection, I feel that it has something to do with the head. I have tried many things, including fusing the body parts together with “control - j”, but none of these have worked. If anyone can help me with this, it would be GREATLY appreciated, because at the moment, I just feel :spin:

Post your blend somewhere and provide a link.

Basic problem and fix is described in this tutorial:

Additionally, problem may be coming from your character wearing trench coat. This kind of model can cause problems when Automatic weighing is used. Because, there are layered mesh gaps around some bones so that weighing must jump across in / out and front / back of the mesh.

It is best to use “With Envelop weights” option when parenting with overlapping mesh or open mesh object. That way Blender knows what to weigh. You will need to display bone as Envelop, and control its volume over the mesh area to be assigned.

Argh! sorry! i accidentally posted the same question 3 times! I thought m browser had broken…

Ok so I followed your instructions and they overall worked very well. However, whenever I move an arm, the head gets very distorted. I have tried many different solutions including shrinking the bones envelope range. I wasnt quite sure what you meant in the last part of your instructions. Could you explain it to me, assuming it might help the problem. Otherwise just tell me what you think might help. Thank you just for responding to my question!

Ok so I followed your instructions and they overall worked very well. However, whenever I move an arm, the head gets very distorted. I have tried many different solutions including shrinking the bones envelope range. I wasnt quite sure what you meant in the last part of your instructions. Could you explain it to me, assuming it might help the problem. Otherwise just tell me what you think might help. Thank you just for responding to my question!