Bone is also scaling vertices when rotating - solved

Why is my bone scaling when I rotate? I don’t have envelopes on:

bone is being rotated along the Y axis… at 65 degrees, it appears to have shrunk the vertices… at 125 degrees, it certainly has shrunk the vertice group:

edit: image removed, problem solved, save imageshack’s space and bandwidth

Unparent the Mesh from the Bone or Armature and do Ctrl-A on the Armature Object in Object mode and again in Pose mode with all Bones selected. Then goto Edit mode with all Bones selected and do Ctrl-N, then parent them again.

%<

Tried it twice. same thing… :frowning:

As you can see, all my bones are set up by default with their axis matching the global axis.

None of the other bones are behaving strangely… I am totally confused.

So am I. Could you upload the blend please, or send it to ([email protected])?

%<

http://rapidshare.de/files/11811497/ATACC-II.zip.html

here it is…

I dig the way you expect me to sniff out the offending bone in amongst all that! I assume the problem is what happens when you rotate BO:Core? Bo:TeslaRig is parented to it and the Vert Group parented to TeslaRig distorts when you rotate Core. That’s because the Y-Axis of the 2 bones are 1) not alligned and 2) offset from one another. If you rotate BO:TeslaRig around it’s own Y-Axis then everything works fine.

You may have problems if you move either of the bones, but you could try either 1) unparent TeslaRig from Core and use a Copy Rotation constraint to have TeslaRig rotate with Core but remain stationary while doing so or 2) use an IPO Driver to do the same thing.

%<

Sorry about that… first time I’ve posted my a blend.

I assume the problem is what happens when you rotate BO:Core?

No, BO:TeslaRig

But thank you… now I see I had somehow parented the vertices in question to both core and TeslaRig.
:expressionless:

amateur mistake… bleeechh…

troubleshooting step one: be sure the appliance is plugged in…