Bone Max Influence Setting?

Hey,

I’m a Maya user new to Blender and need to know if there is a setting in Blender similar to Maya. In Maya, on a skin cluster, I can set the max number of bone influences. For example, I can set this value to 4, which means a max number of 4 bones can influence per vertex. Is there a setting like this in Blender? If not, how can I control how many bones are influencing a particular vertex?

Thanks,

Wes

I think what you may be looking for is weight painting in blender. Via weight painting, you assign the bone’s influence on a vetex. Here’s a poorly outdated manual page -
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Animation/Armatures/Mesh_Skin_Weighting

I know that’s not much help…:mad: So…

Right click on a bone in the armature in pose mode, Shift-right click on the mesh, from the mode selection rool-out, choose weight paint. You can now paint the influence of a bone on the mesh. Selecting another bone, you can paint the mesh to assign parts of it to the bone. This is how you assign vertex groups to bones. The entire mesh should turn blue in color, but the parts assigned to the selected bone will be red-ish in color there are varying degrees of weight paint… I think it goes from 0-blue to 1/4 cyan, 1/2 yellow, 3/4 green, 1 red. 1 meaning it’s 100% weight to the bone…

Hope this helps
Randy

Thanks Randy. I don’t think that Blender has the equivalent Maya option that I’m looking for, but your post definitely helps and I think weight painting is the only way to control it.

Thanks,

Wes