Bone size - Display

Greetings! I’m following the Gamedev.tv tutorials and am by the section on animating a lamp.
At some point, they introduce the bones and a bone for the base of the lamp and another extruded bone for the lower arm. It fits nicely and doesn’t look that odd because of its size.

I chose another kind of lamp design with its’ own dimensions and it is a bigger lamp. My issue comes from the part where I take a bone for the base of the lamp and then another bone for the lower arm, this ends up looking too big.

Does this have any effect later on? Can it be resized in some way or is it just the way it displays it on octahedral?

I saw some other posts and they mention Ctrl-Alt-S but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me. Maybe that hotkey is for another kind of issue.

You can change it to bbone, once you do this you’ll be able to change the thickness of the bone with ctrl alt S. I personally always use bbones for this reason.

1 Like

Another way to do this is to create a custom shape. Or using a wireframe display for the armature.

Speaking for myself, I don’t think custom shapes are worth the trouble, and I like the way that an octohedral bone display shows me the actual origins of the bones (which is what I want to know, and which bbone and stick displays don’t show me.) So what I’ll often do is work with two 3D viewports open, one with overlays disabled, so that I can select an armature in one viewport and see the (mesh only) output in the other.

1 Like

ah nice trick