Bones and Bones and … dem bones 2.4 discussion

(Room335) #1

I’ve been playing with the new animation system, its very exciting to see these new changes from Ton and the Coders. I can’t thank you guys enough.

It looks as though it’ll be a lot easier to animate but as usual there’s that “learning curve”. Taking what the wonderful coders have done and trying to put it into use. So I thought I’d start a discussion on trying to find the best use skeleton (Armature). I realize that there is not one perfect Armature setup, but I hope that through a discussion here that maybe we could come up with a generic “best use” skeletal system and other animation techniques. One that could be modified for specfic needs.

For you Newbies – this is not meant to be a tutorial at this point, so I’m sorry if not all the setup steps are explained in detail, it’s my goal however, that when I get a reasonable understanding of how the system works, and perhaps a generic skeleton, I’ll put together a thorough tutorial.
Be patient Grasshopper.

I’ll start with my bone setup.

I named the vertice groups to match the corresponding bones. IE: the Forearm.L bone matches the Forearm.L vertice group. (L= left, R = Right)

I used the Envelope bone, I like the look and feel of them, but I’m still experimenting and would like your feedback and for you to share your techniques and discoveries here.

I put an IKA solver on the forearms and added various degrees of restrictions on the swing rotation. Either X, Y & Z or a combination of them on the forearm and biceps. This seems to help in reducing the sudden twitching in the movement.

The forearm has the Hinge button selected. Sometimes this seems to help, but then again…

The legs are a similar setup.

An IKA solver on the calf, and various combos of X, Y & Z limits on the rotation.

Here’s a screen shot of my settings.
[http://s01.picshome.com/187/bones001.jpg

Here’s a video of moving the arm around via the IKA_Forearm.L solver. You can see that there is a very nice movement to it. I turned off the Subsurfacing for the mesh character so my computer would respond faster

http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/album31/HAND_RIG_TEST_3.avi

I did similar setup with the legs.

Here’s a video of it.
http://gallery.mudpuddle.co.nz/albums/album31/leg_test.avi

While I can get some nice movement by moving the IKA_Solvers, the problem lies in reposition the rig. For example, If I want the figure to move into a kneeling position, it’s a major problem. The IKA’s stay in the last position, thus the Armature turn into an ugly mess. There’s probably a solution to this, but at the moment, I can’t figure out what it is. So, if you have any ideas how to solve it, please let me know about it.

Thanks,

Tim

(AndyD) #2

I responded in the other thread but here may be more appropriate (so ignore my comment in the other thread).

In that thread you mentioned adding a null bone as an IK solver but I don’t think you need null bones with the new system - you just constrain the end bone as a solver then set “use tip”.

(Room335) #3

AndyD,

Yes, I see what you mean. I’m playing around with the Control I option that adds the constraint with the Tip button and also rereading the docs on it.