Bones go wild <SOLVED>

Hello,

I’m pretty new to Blender. I would like to make a little animation. I made the bones and tried to do the Copy and Paste Flipped pose. If I do that, the bones are doing something completely different from what I expect them to do. It is hard to tell what they are doing, and I don’t see where the error is. Can somebody please help? I tried the “Recalculate bone Roll Angles” and the “Clear Rotation” options, with no effect. I use Blender v2.40

I can’t find an upload option for my blend file, so if somebody is willing to help, please leave you’re e-mailaddress so I can mail it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Jackuss

([email protected])

%<

I send you the blend file. Thanks in advance for looking at it. :slight_smile:

I looked at it but there’s not much there; 2 IK Constraints. They work as expected here. What wild things are they doing there?

%<

Strange… When I’m trying to make a pose, for example the legs to make a Walkcycle, and I want to flip it, the pose does’t flip. Well at least it doesn’t flip in the right direction. Normally when you made a ‘walkpose’ the upperleg is pointing somewhat to the front, and the lowerleg is pointing somewhat down. When I flip it, the upperleg is pointing down, and the lowerleg is pointing to the front. Maybe it is just a setting which isn’t correct in ‘my’ Blender.

Also, sometimes the bones flips good, but when I make a key of it, they don’t stay in this pose… It is really strange to expain :-|. I was searching on this site yesterday, and I saw a couple of sites, where I can upload files. Maybe it is better expained, when I make a short video of the problem?

I’m sure that you would need to put all the constraints you’ll need on all the skeleton before trying to flip poses. When you flip it needs to write IPO’s (an Action) to the other half of the skeleton. If there are no IK bones on the other side it’ll just “flip out” wildly.

One thing I’ve noticed (that I can’t explain) is that when an armature just jumbles itself into a mess for no aparrent reason, changing to Stick or Envelopes and then moving an IK seems to fix it.

%<

I’ve uploaded a little movie of the problem, you can get it here http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/bonesproblem01.avi. It’s size is now 948 Kb, so I don’t think that should be a problem. I also uploaded my blend file http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/04firedragon_complete02.blend

(With thanks to the blender.isoserv.com website)

From what I can tell my looking at your rig, pose flipping doesn’t work with targetless IK. I don’t know if this is a bug or intended behavior.

To work around it: Make your IK handle bones not parented to the LegLo bones. Then put the IK constraint on the LegLo bone and make the target bone the IK bone.

Finally got home and had time to look at the .avi. I tested it and ‘Copy Flipped Pose’ definitely doesn’t work with targetless IK’s as Sketchy says. I’ll mess with it some more and get back to you.

%<

Here I am again… First off all HAPPY NEWYEAR to everybody, and a Happy Blending :smiley: .

Well now, back to the topic…

I tried to unparent the IK bones, and I made the LeLo bones the IK Solvers. It didn’t work out, again, here is a new avi to show what happens then.

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/bonesproblem02a.avihere is an avi to showx

1 thing that I noted. As you can see in the AVI, I had a bit of trouble with positioning the leg to the front. this was LegLo.L. If I use LegLo.R for it, then I don’t have any trouwble. Don’t know if it has something to do wit my problem, but it is worth mentioning, I guess.

Here I am again… First off all HAPPY NEWYEAR to everybody, and a Happy Blending :smiley: .

Well now, back to the topic…

I tried to unparent the IK bones, and I made the LeLo bones the IK Solvers. It didn’t work out, again, here is a new avi to show what happens then.
here is an avi to show.

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/bonesproblem02a.avi

1 thing that I noted. As you can see in the AVI, I had a bit of trouble with positioning the leg to the front. this was LegLo.L. If I use LegLo.R for it, then I don’t have any trouwble. Don’t know if it has something to do wit my problem, but it is worth mentioning, I guess.

STUPID ME

After I did a CTRL+A (Apply Size and Rotation) in Object Mode on the Armature, all worked well. Guess I didn’t do it correct the first time :expressionless:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help

Jackuss