Bones / Vertex Issues

Hi guys,

Is there a way of finding out how many bones are attached per vertex for a 3D model in Blender ?

I am using the OGRE renderer and it requires that the following rules are obeyed

• 4 bones max per vertex
  • Each vertex should have a bone

Is there an alternative approach in editing the model so as to ensure that the above rules are met? The model was acquired from MakeHuman export.

Thanks

Thumpin3D

Ideas anyone ?

Hey Thumpin3D,

I am not familiar with OGRE, but I can offer some ideas. The first one would be to actually bypass the armature altogether, and bake the animation to the mesh using shapekeys. This video demonstrates how to do that.

If you need the armature, you could try using this normalization script I wrote. It doesn’t allow you to edit the bone groups per se, but it does make it quick and easy to manage the weights.

You could even write a new script using some of the code and functions from the normalization script. The script just needs to get a list of the influences of each vert, then check to see if there are more than 4 influences. If there are more than 4, it finds the 4 with the highest weight values and then removes the rest.

You may also want to check out some of the other rigging scripts available for more ideas.

Hope that helps!

Hey thanks for the reply …am looking onto it…

Hi feelgoodcomics,

Could you please check the blend file for more info on why this is happening? Why, because earlier i downloaded a blend from the blender magazine issue 2 which already had a rigged character Joe. I cleared all the default animation, re-did new animations and exported them to Ogre software which came very well.

So, this has to be with the model itself. That is why i would like to post the blend file to be reviewed. Please do check it and let me know.

FileName: trialWithoutSkeleton.blend

Thanks

Thumpin3D

Hi…

Please go to
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45922&p=356167#p356167
to see further discussions on this.

Regards
Thumpin3D

I’m glad you’ve found the information you’re looking for! I’m sorry I didn’t see your previous post, or I would have responded. I was not near my computer at that time, so I was not checking the forums. In the future don’t be afraid to shoot me (or whomever else you ask) a private message to let them know you’ve asked for help :slight_smile:

If it’s still relevant, the only thing I see that might cause an export problem with your character is that the nose and pelvic area have no influence - it stays in place. According to the rules you mentioned, that’s likely to be a problem.