BOO Sign

Had this idea too close to Halloween with no time to get it done for the 31st, but here it is!

Played for a long time with the cloth sim to get it to hang right, then it took me a long time to balance the cloth material shader to work with the front lighting and the back lighting from the letters.

Detail:

Wireframe:

Comments and criticism welcome!

So is the fringe around the cloth a texture or a particle system? It’s very real looking. Great job!

I likes lots! And the cloth looks so real!

Thanks! It’s an alpha texture I made. I suppose a particle system could work really well, but I think it would be overkill for this particular static project.

Darn, that shader! Wonderful

Just fantastic, great idea and execution!

That’s maybe the best looking cloth I’ve seen in Blender! I think the subtle wrinkles push it over the top! I noticed they aren’t geometry in the wire frame, so I assume it is a displacement map? How did you go about creating such a displacement map? It looks flawless.

I made the displacement map from a rough cloth I found on either textures.com or episcura.com, then I applied a normal map for crinkled paper (I found it on FilterForge’s website, it didn’t need to be super high resolution at all)… the two of those together made a pretty convincing look.

Without the crinkle it was too tidy and artificial feeling for a frayed ghost shape.

Thanks for the info! That’s really creative to use the normal map of crinkled paper, I would not have thought of that!