Book thread

I have a huge pile of programming/art/Flash books half finished on my shelf. I badly need to start reading fiction again!

Any suggestions?

My likes:
restrained fantasy (nothing too Orcish) e.g. Red Seas Red Skies;

intelligent, “one-off” sci-fi. Think Ian M Banks/Forever War

Graphic novels (think Bone, Preacher)

“Modern Classics” eg Confederacy of Dunces, Cloud Atlas

My dislikes:

crime (e.g. Ian Rankin)
chick lit

Everything else is fair game… I’d be delighted to discuss your recommendations!

You may want to try books by the following authors at your local library:

Amanda Quick or Stephanie Laurens
Galean Foley

Cheers kbot,

Never heard of any of those authors. Kudos!!

[edit]

oops, guess I should have checked who they were before I got all excited… :slight_smile: I was thinking more along the lines of The Handmaids Tale…

Next!
[/edit]

Restrained fantasy - then have to recomend David Gemmels last trilogy - Troy. This guy was a genius. I grew up reading his storyies about druss the legend, waylander, tanaka khan all all the others. The best writer of heroic fantasy ever - wel maybe apart from the professor!1 But yeh Troy rocks in Gemmels own way.

If that doesn’t rock your boat then i’ll suggest Blood and Champaign, the lif and times of Robert Capa. This guy’s life story is a gem to read

now take your pick

that’s more like it! {sorry kbot}
Gemmel it is…

good choice - and a quote from the end of the 3rd book of troy -‘fall of kings’ by writer Conn Iggulden - ‘Gemmel was superb at endings. Some of them were so powerful that i could only stare at the ceiling with tears in my eyes’.

And i thought i was the only one eh? :slight_smile: ahhh

I love these threads. :slight_smile:

Restrained fantasy: not entirely sure what you mean, but I just read the first of Terry Goodkind’s books, and it was pretty good. It didn’t have any orcs.

I’m drawing a blank on good SF for some reason at the moment, but I will recommend a few off the top of my head:
-Coyote Trilogy, Allen Steele
-Jupiter, Ben Bova
-Childhood’s End, Arthur C. Clarke
-The Mote in God’s Eye, Niven & Pournelle (IF YOU READ ONLY ONE OF THESE MAKE IT THIS ONE)
-
and there’s always mylist

For Modern Literature I’ve been reading a lot of Margaret Atwood lately. Fascinating writer. One of hers you’d probably like is Oryx and Crake, which is SF no matter how strenuously her publisher denies it.

Graphic novels: Been doing a few of these lately. See below:
-I’d recommend Bone but I see you’ve already read it
-Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth, Chris Ware. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I loved it.
-Berlin, Jason Lutes. It’s about turn-of-the-century Berlin. Interesting historical fiction and beautifully drawn.
-Fun Home, Alison Bechdel. Not fiction, but a very interesting memoir, and often funny.

And off on an unsolicited tangent, I recommend the new Don Quixote translation by Edith Grossman. That is a fun book.

And please do read Brave New World if you haven’t yet. It’s a really great book. Honest. Nobody believes me. :frowning:

I love these threads :slight_smile:

me too!

while not strictly fantasy or SF, can I recommend China Mievilles “Perdido Street Station”

By restrained fantasy I was thinking something which moved away from traditional “theres an evil sorcerer trying to rule the magical kingdom of Grond, and it’s up to our traditional rag-tag group of heroes to stop him”…Tolkein is excused; he (re)invented the genre…

Also, as you can see from my China Mieville selection, I’m a big fan of “modern” fantasy; Jeff Vandermeer, Neil Gaiman.

my librarything page:

You’ll have to excuse the Stephen King collection…it’s an obsession I inherited from my dad. :smiley:

I recommend the Inheritance series by Frank Peretti.
Eragon and Eldest, with a third due for release by the end of September

Hey, I got some comics … erm… graphic novels for you :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll skip the obvious ones:

Powers, Alias - both by Brian Micheal Bendis. I hate superhero books, but I love these. Powers is a really good, very dark comedy / crime noir book. Alias is about a Private Investigator who just happens to exist in the Marvel Universe. Powers is the better of the two.

Goldfish, Jinx, Torso - All Bendis again, but these are his earliest books. He also drew these comics, and it’s a shame he stopped drawing his own stuff. His art kicks ass.

Mr. Blank - One of the most awesome things I’ve ever read. Smart, funny, loaded with action and interesting characters… I’ve read through it a couple dozen times, and every time I do I can’t help but wonder how the creator, Chris Hicks, has managed to elude fame and fortune. If you dig Bone, then this is right up you alley. It’s kinda old, tho… the collection came out in 2000, so finding a copy might be difficult… worth it, tho…

The Flight Anthologies - there are 5 of them now. All of them good. Maybe lighter reading than you’re looking for… they aren’t exactly mind-imploding tales of sophistication, but are a very good showcase of young talent.

Maus - You might have read it already, but I have to add it to just about every list of comics, as it’s THE BEST comic ever made. No question about it.

And if you really want to read some interesting crap - if you’ve not already - check out Scott McCloud’s “Reading Comics”. It’s written in comicbook format, and the content is basically about comics, but a ton of it can be applied directly to just about any other multimedia or artform that exists. It’s less about comics, really, and more about storytelling and how people interpret things. And art.

The Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, The restaurant at the end of the universe, Life the universe and everything, and Good bye, and thanks for all the fish! Easily the funniest books I have ever read. Kudos to Douglas Adams!

PS:I wanna read ‘Mostly harmless’!

I’m a fully paid-up member of the fan club. (not literally, of course - pun intended - but I do find him exceptionally funny)

And if you really want to read some interesting crap - if you’ve not already - check out Scott McCloud’s “Reading Comics”. It’s written in comicbook format, and the content is basically about comics, but a ton of it can be applied directly to just about any other multimedia or artform that exists. It’s less about comics, really, and more about storytelling and how people interpret things. And art.

Right up my alley.

I’ll have to start making one of those execrable Amazon “Wish Lists” now… At least it’ll be full of good books!

Dan

I don’t have too many fiction books, since most of them are 3D game programming books like “Mastering Unreal Technology”. However, I do have a short list of fiction books that i’ve enjoyed in the past.

The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Giver - Lois Lowry (short but very good)
The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury (awesome Sci-fi Author)
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
The Divine Comedy - Dante (hard to understand, but very interesting, still havent finished it)
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Cuckoo’s Egg - Clifford Stoll (non-fiction but still a great read)
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Mouse Book: The story of Apodemus a long-tailed field mouse - David Bellamy

I could go on and list many others but im sure that’s enough to catch your interest for now = ) All of these books were 4-5 stars imho.