Bookshelf

Hello!
I am totally new to the forum and to blender. This is one of my first creations. I’ve seen stuff that others post and their’s just looks amazing compared to mine, so I hope it’s okay to post mine even though it’s not anything special.

ah, well i see you’ve grasped the basics of modeling and some materials. i would recommend adding a couple of loops to your shelf in order to define the edges. at the moment, the specularity is spread across the median of the surface. and then start fiddling with textures.

great work! I think the next step would be adding textures.

I know how to add textures, but everytime I do the outcome looks like a 90’s FPS game. Example of my earlier work where I added textures:

There are several things that you could do to make the result look more realistic. The most important ones are:
1.) Use a bevel modifier for your bricks. Bricks never have perfectly sharp edges.
2.) Enable the “Normal”-value of your texture and play with it. Bricks aren’t smooth.
3.) If you use repetetive textures avoid seams. This tutorial might be helpful http://blendercubed.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-make-image-into-seamless-texture.html

edit to 3.) If there’s a possiblity of avoiding a repetetive texture at all, then avoid it. The human eye is very good at recognizing them…

there seems to be a misconception with new blender users that the “Blender Internal” render engine can be easily played with to produce realistic results. that’s not its purpose.

since realism is obviousely your goal, “Blender Cycles” is your friend.
you can get from graphicall. it’s new but very usable.:yes:
ehm… but you need to learn nodes.:eyebrowlift:

I seem to be telling this to everybody.:confused::eyebrowlift2:

@josef haha, i do agree that cycles is awesome and has the potential to produce far better results however, blender internal is capable of producing realism. it’s slightly trickier but, with work, it’s plausible. oh, and possibly my favourite feature of cycles is the real-time render mode… isn’t it awesome?

I downloaded cycles and tried it out on my new project. Looks good but i have a major problem with noise. The dots don’t go away even when I set the render engine to do a 1000 passes.

Êðàñèâûå äåâóøêè èùóò ñåêñ. Áåç îáÿçàòåëüñòâ, ðàäè óäîâîëüñòâèÿ! http://sexvodnoklassnikah.ru/
ñåêñ çíàêîìñòâà îíëàéí

Your work lmodels look good, but it need a lot of improvment.
Forget about Cycles, and read this first http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Lighting/Lamps/Lighting_Rigs
then, learn to do good uv mapping an texturing, then start to use cycles.
You can google for tutorial of texturing, but use the BI for see your result it would make you see better when something is wrong or poorly iluminated.
Also start to look in other peoples work to see how they composite and use the ilumination to creat moods and draw the atencion to the main point.
Cycles would make you renders look better (i dont say “not use it”) but it won’t cover the lack of knowleagd.
First learn the basic

Sorry for my bad english.

the reason for the grain is that it calculates a certain number of particles fired from the direction of the lights at a time. depending on the scene and how much light there is (more light=faster) you grain will reduce quicker. for an interior kitchen scene that i’m currently rendering, i left it for 13 hours and about 10 000 passes and it’s still rather grainy… but ya, i would agree with angel that, although it will give better results in the long run, cycles can’t make a piece by itself…

Copy that. Thanks guys!