Boolean Intersection Help Please!

Hi.
I am struggling with intersecting a slot into a serrated patch. Here are some sketchup models to illustrate what I am trying to do:-
When I try to model this in Blender, I cannot get faces on the inside of the slot.
Image 2 shows what I mean. (No face on inside of slot.)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt

Attachments

Unfortunately Blender’s built-in boolean operations are extremely cruddy and inefficient even if you can get them to work. I ran into very similar situations with the thing constantly putting faces where there should be none and very weird anomalies in general. It’s best if you get hold of a script. One I found that worked fairly well was MegaBool:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Object/MegaBool

Hopefully all of this will be fixed in 2.5.

If you’re using the old Boolean operators (accessed through the W key), I’d recommend instead trying the Boolean Modifier. The operators are old and haven’t been updated in ages, but you should be able to get at least some workable results out of the modifier.

For more documentation on all of Blender’s boolean tools, read the wiki page here.

Edit: It’s also a good idea to make sure all of your normals are facing the correct direction first (Ctrl-N in Edit Mode).

Thanks for the info.
It is the modifyer i am using to ill effect.
Will try the script.

Cheers, Matt.

This BlenderCookie tutorial might give you some good ideas . . .

Remember: TMTOWTDI = There’s More Than One Way To Do It.”

Hello fine people.

I downloaded ands used the megabool script - thanks.
It mostly worked, I had to mirror the geometry afterwards though to get it uniform then remove doubles.
However! I seem to have some strange face issues - please look at the attached image.
The brighter orange faces appear to be faces over other faces. Is there a command for removing double faces? I have looked on Wiki and Google but cannot find an answer.
Cheers! Matt.