Boolean Menu changed for latest release... removed?

I was reading the manual, and going through some tutorials, when I found that the boolean function (WKEY) doesn’t show the “Intersect, Union, &c.” menu, but a different one. Has the key to access this menu changed for the latest release? Have they removed it entirely?

The reason is, If I want to make the Gingerbread man move up and down while he walks, the buttons, eyes, and mouth will stay still, while the rest of him moves, so I want to join those parts to the Gingerbread, while getting rid of the unseen bits of the candies.

W still is the boolean quick key, it just is dependable of the mode you are in. If you are in edit mode (TAB key, all verts showing) it gives special menu, wher you can choose stuff like subdivide and remove doubles.

But when you are in object mode (chosen objects sown in pink) W key gives you the booleans menu.

This same happens with couple other keys also, so do your experiments in both modes to see what happens. :smiley:

If you just want to join two or more meshes, don’t use the booleans, simply use the Join function (Ctrl-J).
Both of which have to be executed in object with more than one mesh selected btw.

Martin

When I start up blender, I remove the plane, add two cubes so that they partially overlap, then with the vertices of both cubes selected, I hit wkey, and I get the “Specials” menu. If I’m out of edit mode, no menu appears when I hit wkey, whether the cubes are selected or not.

“Join” is an inefficient method, though, as the bits of mesh that aren’t seen are still calculated, so if I’m joining two high-poly objects, things will still run slowly.

That’s because you are working on only one object. You added the second cube while in edit mode, it was just added to the mesh data of the first object. Be sure to be in object mode when adding the second cube.

“Join” is an inefficient method, though, as the bits of mesh that aren’t seen are still calculated, so if I’m joining two high-poly objects, things will still run slowly.

In that case, yes.
Though you’ll probably have a cleaner job doing the union operation by hand, using the knife tool to make approximation cuts and then joining with new faces.

Martin

Okay, this time I started up blender, remove the plane, add a cube, exit edit mode, add another cube, exit edit mode, select one cube, then shift-select the other one and press wkey. No menu appears.

I noticed that the manual shows the faces being hilighted when you select an object in edit mode. This also doesn’t happen for me. Could my copy of blender be corrupt perhaps? Up until this point everything worked fine, but I’ve just been playing around with the basic stuff, like the Gingerbread man tutorial.

TPretty funny. If I do what you write I get a ‘boolean’ menu!

Face Highlight is off by default.

Edit Context for meshes, in Edit Mode, Mesh Tool 1 Panel, ‘Draw Faces’

Stefano

I’ll try redownloading blender and trying again.

UPDATE: Fixed! Wow, I thought I downloaded the bad file or something, but this is like a completely different program! The old version’s executable was called “Blender publisher” while this one was called just “Blender,” but they work the same. The UI is a lot different, though, and best of all, the boolean menu works! Yeah! Now I can create those efficient models I’ve always wanted.