Boolean operation - cylinder - cylinder = MESS

I am trying to model an old-style movie reel that has 5 holes punched out of a disc. But I just can’t get a clean result using Boolean with a main cylinder and smaller cylinders to cut the holes. Any tips appreciated.

Is the mesh density of the first cylinder high enough? I figure the quads on the cylinder cap should be same size as the small side of one cylinder segment (of the second cylinder that is).
Or are you using bmesh? I have not tried Booleans with BMesh but in theory they should work perfect.

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgI am trying to model an old-style movie reel that has 5 holes punched out of a disc.

Try to attach an example blend file where this ‘mess’ happens if you can.

Hi,

the easiest way to do this I think would be to use curves. Took me about 2 minutes to get this:

The trick is to add the holes as bezier circles in edit mode. I.e. Add -> Curve -> Circle (the outer circle), then tab into (or stay in) edit mode and add more bezier circles where the holes should be. That way, they’re automatically holes in the bigger circle. Just make sure the curves are 2D (see below), not 3D!

After that, use the Curve Properties to extrude and set the desired resolution:

That topmost big button will set the curves to 2D. :slight_smile:

When you’re satisfied you can convert that to a mesh (Alt-C) and Beautify the fill (Shift-Alt-F), that should give a pretty clean result:

Or, if no more editing is needed, keep the curves. :slight_smile:
Hope this helps.