Boolean Operations in 2.4---Bad

Is anyone else having trouble with boolean operations in 2.4? Every time I try to perform this task it binds up my CPU 100% and does absolutely nothing else. Did I just get a bad download? Everything else seems to be working just great…especially the particle system. BTW I downloaded the .py script Fligh suggested but have not tried it out yet.

No, you’re not alone:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57090

But the majority have had no problems. Try deleting your B.blend file then reopen Blender.

%<

Thanks Fligh. It works great on simple meshes now, but it’s still the same on complex meshes, totally locks up. I was trying to inset letters into a tombstone, but they look far better raised (that’s cuz I have zero lighting skills at this point). I’ll try the script if I need this function again 'cuz in 2.37 the intersect boolean ultimately provided the effect that the difference boolean was supposed to give me.

I tried to inset a text-mesh in a cube, and Blender crashed. It was solved by Removing Doubles (W-key-> Remove Doubles) from the text mesh before the boolean operation.

Thanks SoftWork, That did the trick.

Did some more testing. Booleans seem to crash when an object has a ''floating face", a face that doesn’t make a closed mesh. Like, when you extrude an edge from a cube, or when you select a face from a cube an press Shft-D to duplicate.

Is already in te Bugtacker:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3640&group_id=9&atid=125

Ouch! Deleting the B.Blend file really did a number on my static particles… made them into the blurry mess of cotton that you get with 3.7 so I had to undelete it. Thanks again guys for helping me work around this problem.

Where else should I let others know about the price you’ll pay for deleting the B.Blend file?

BTW, is anyone else as impressed as I am with the improvements to the 3.4 particle system?

Most of us have not seen it yet since we are still using the 2.40 release.