Boolean or alternatives for Jewelry modeling

Hello all,
I am a jewelry designer/goldsmith and I am considering using blender for jewelry design. I have been a novice fan of Blender, but I am having trouble using it in a particular application.
I need to end up with a .svg vector drawing cut into a rounded 8mm band. (usually these are moutain peaks, fish, animals etc., you can see examples at sportsmanjewelry.com)I know Rhino can do this fairly simply with a boolean difference, but I can’t seem to get that to work with Blender.
I have seen a tutorial making a pair of dice. I used that technique to recess a image into a cube. However, I don’t think this would be practical for convex surfaces. I hope someone can help me with this. I would like to start using Blender more, but this is the most urgent application right now.

Hello, and welcome to BlenderArtists. :slight_smile: Blender’s booleans aren’t all that great. After seeing those example rings, I think your best bet might be to model the basic hole that the design needs to fit into. Then model the actual design and simply place it in the hole. (This will only work if you don’t need a continuous mesh.) For your landscape rings I would simply use a normal map, or if you absolutely need it to be real geometry, a displacement map.

I need to be able to export it to .stl for rapid prototyping and mold production. Will that work? Right now I am mainly trying to figure out how to model this style:
http://www.sportsmanjewelry.com/media/ccp0/prodsm/SB2-TT.jpg
The black area is what I’m trying to recess into the band. Currently, I carve these by hand under a microscope. I am really hoping to be able to make Blender work. I Know Rhino can to it (I’ve contracted someone to model one for me in Rhino before), but I like the other options Blender gives me to work with. Thanks for your help.

For normal rings, the first method I mentioned should work as long as you don’t have any open geometry. For the landscape rings, you may need to use a displace modifier and then apply it to make it permanent.

Thanks for your help. I’ll give it a try and let you know what I get.